Favorite Board Games

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Yati, Jul 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yati

Yati Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, I am an avid gamer myself and I find playing games makes me happy in my darkest of times. In this spirit I encourage everyone to play games, I know myself it helps me get something to focus on that I can control. I'd like everyone to list their favorite board game, and maybe a description if you like to give others ideas of games to play.

Myself:
    Settlers of Catan
    https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/13/catan

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Not an adult thing but when I was a kid I loved playing monopoly with my younger sisters, it was fun and it is a great game for kids :) Those memories are great.

3. Deleted SKU

Deleted SKU Well-Known Member

Dead of Winter is probably my most played recently. Co-operative board game with a potential traitor element, got to keep a colony going which is defending itself against zombies, in various scenarios, by going out in to the world, searching for useful equipment, killing zombies, and some awesome random events with the crossroads system. Really rich on theme, but newbie friendly, as players are (usually) trying to help each other.

Quarriors is a lot of fun too, not a 'board game' as such, but with cards and custom dice. Throwing handfuls of dice around is always fun, and it's slightly more interesting than its Dice Master successors (which more people play, which shows the value of marketing and pasting on popular themes).

And finally I'd recommend Lords of Waterdeep (with the expansion). Solid worker placement game, with a theme (though not strongly themed) which I enjoy (I am trying to get in to playing D&D too, but depends too much on time available), simple to learn, but just plays really well.

4. Northern

Northern SF Supporter

Catan and 7 wonders for me.

Board games are pretty much my favorite way of socializing because the game is the center of attention.

5. Yati

Yati Well-Known Member

I do enjoy 7 wonders Northern, I have a friend with all of the expansions.

I have to try Dead of Winter Deleted SKU, and what edition of D&D are you trying?

Also, I'd suggest Ticket To Ride, my wife and I love it.

6. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

Clue! :spy:

7. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Scrabble, hungry hippos lol that was when I was a kid.... Trouble...monopoly.....candy land

8. Deleted SKU

Deleted SKU Well-Known Member

DoW is a great game, I'm really hoping that they will release an expansion soon... I'm not played out yet on it, but it could use a bit more variety after all the rounds I've played.

I'm undecided on D&D, probably 5th, but as I want to do a lot of homebrew, there are a lot more resources around to help with that in Pathfinder, I'm considering that too. For now I'm just world and storyline building, which is edition independent stuff, until I can make a decision.

9. Yati

Yati Well-Known Member

I'm not aloud to play clue with my family... something about the games are to short

10. Flying Fox

Flying Fox Well-Known Member

Risk, ooh used to have the Lord of the Rings version.
    Was obsessed with Life as a kid.
    Settlers of Catan fan too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.