Favorite Book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacsMom

Staff Alumni
My husband got me hooked on the Outlander series on tv. He also been trying to get me to hear the books on audio. I requested my dad (when he asked) to get me the Outlander books in book form. So into reading it. It's hard for me to put it down. Just glad I'm getting back into reading books and enjoying the books. I missed reading a good book and there are several in the series. :)
I LOVE the Outlander tv series, but have not read the books. I am an avid reader! I will have to get the first one. Thanks for reminding me! I enjoy all kinds of books and read every night, so I would be hard pressed to pick a favourite. However, as a little girl, I would have to say "Anne of Green Gables" would have been up at the top of the list. Now as an adult, I've read so many, I just can't pick one....

Baywasp

I know the world turns and it will turn on me
SF Supporter
Reading books in their original language is always better somehow. Do you like learning languages? :) I've read it in Hungarian (native), English and German
That's cool. I used to try to study languages a lot. I've taken years and years of French and a few years of Russian. I've tried to independently study some Dutch and a little bit of Swedish. I forget most of all of those though :( I know I can pick back up on the French at least if I start using it more or take another class, but I've had trouble motivating myself for that sort of thing lately.

That's cool. I used to try to study languages a lot. I've taken years and years of French and a few years of Russian. I've tried to independently study some Dutch and a little bit of Swedish. I forget most of all of those though :( I know I can pick back up on the French at least if I start using it more or take another class, but I've had trouble motivating myself for that sort of thing lately.
I understand how you feel, I had a really long break when I didn't study anything because I didn't have motivation, I'm starting to come out of it now thankfully. And once I started Spanish, but gave up on it soon and forgot pretty much everything :/
Russian sounds really cool though! And I hope you can get back to French soon :)

Watership Down, by Richard Adams.
That's one of my favorites too. I'm also fond of Stephen King novels, Great Expectations, Fahrenheit 451, the book 13 Reasons Why stayed with me for days. I won't watch the TV show because I don't want to trigger myself. I'm trying to stay away from depressing films and books now. I do love novels where I can relate to the character though. Two books that I can truly relate too: The Perks Of Being A Wallflower, Speak and Mysterious Skin.

Sunday16

SF Supporter
I love to read so it's difficult to choose just one favorite book...
When I was young I loved: The Secret Garden, Where the Red Fern Grows and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
When I was in college my favorites were: The Jungle, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
The best books I've read in the past 10 years are: Push, The Help, Little Bee and any short stories by David Sedaris (very funny)

Kira

•✮• SF Gelfling •✮•
SF Creative
SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I couldn't possibly name a favourite book. Each author and genre suited the time and place I was in growing up.

Now, I've got 4 novels that I brought with me on holidays. Three have been made into movies and one is a series on TV. I never watch a movie before I read the book so here are my options:

• The Girl On The Train
  • Girl, Interrupted
  • The Help
  • Big Little Lies
If anyone has read these or has any ideas, I'd love to hear. The hardest part for me is the beginning of the book. If it doesn't pull me in straight away then I really struggle to keep going. On the other hand, once I find something that I can't put down, I'm devastated when it comes to an end.

Sunday16

SF Supporter
@Kira75 Great book choices for your holiday! I wish I had read Little Big Lies before seeing the HBO series. I didn't know it was a book at the time. It's a compelling story, if it's slow at first keep at it, trust me it's a great story! I found The Help easy to read because the story is told from different perspectives so if you're not pulled in by the first narrator, you may find another narrator more interesting. Personally I loved everything about that book! My mother read the Girl on the Train and wasn't crazy about it. Let me know if you like it, we seem to have similar taste in books :)

Acanthi

I just finished reading A Man Called Ove and it's one of the most beautiful books I've ever read. It's about a man who loses his wife and decides to end his life, but fate intervenes. It really helped me emotionally. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who's struggling. :)

Brian777

Safety and Support
SF Artist
SF Supporter
I just finished reading A Man Called Ove and it's one of the most beautiful books I've ever read. It's about a man who loses his wife and decides to end his life, but fate intervenes. It really helped me emotionally. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who's struggling. :)
I just started listening to this on audible :) so far I really like it

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
I haven't read a book for over two years now, I can't seem to concentrate enough. But before that I always had my head in a book.

My favourite book is probably To Kill a Mockingbird. I also love Wuthering Heights, The Bell Jar, The Book of Lost Things, Pillars of the Earth and the Harry Potter books.

I hope I can read a book again one day.

nobodyknows71

For a Phoenix to rise, it must first burn.
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Not my fav book but have just finished 13 reasons why. I didn't watch the series first so can't compare, but I found it interesting. I'm not the demographic that it's aimed at but I think there is definitely merit to it.
If it makes even one person question how they behave towards others then that's a good thing.

Vakari

Now, I've got 4 novels that I brought with me on holidays. Three have been made into movies and one is a series on TV. I never watch a movie before I read the book so here are my options:

• The Girl On The Train.
I really want to read Girl On The Train, but I haven't had much time. The film is really good though (sorry, I've been naughty. I usually read the books first). Into The Water, by the same author, is amazing. Paula Hawkins has a great style of writing as the swapping between characters keeps you waiting for the unexpected outcome.

nobodyknows71

For a Phoenix to rise, it must first burn.
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I really want to read Girl On The Train, but I haven't had much time. The film is really good though (sorry, I've been naughty. I usually read the books first). Into The Water, by the same author, is amazing. Paula Hawkins has a great style of writing as the swapping between characters keeps you waiting for the unexpected outcome.
I've read it. It's better than the film, as these things tend to be. I'd recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$255.00
Goal
$255.00