Favorite Recipes

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Esmeralda, Jun 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

I love to try new recipes, and I thought that since we have such an international group here, it would be fun to post some favorite recipes to try! I'll go first!

Today I made homemade spaghetti and meatballs with a little twist that turned out yummy!

2 bell peppers-chopped (I used yellow and orange, but any will do)
    1 small onion-chopped
    1 carrot-chopped
    1 can crushed tomatoes
    1 can rotel tomatoes (I like it spicy!)
    1 small can tomato paste
    crushed red pepper (to taste)
    1 cup water
    salt-to taste
    black pepper-to taste
    3 cloves garlic-chopped
    2 TBS olive oil
    1 lb ground beef
    7 balls mozzarella fresca (the kind that comes in water and looks like little testicles-sorry, but they do)
    Italian breadcrumbs
    3 TBS oregano (dried or fresh)
    5 basil leaves-chopped (or 2 TBS dried)
    2 eggs
    Grated Parmesan cheese

Heat olive oil in a sauce pan until smoking.
    Add 2 cloves of garlic and 2/3 of the onions, peppers and carrot, salt and pepper and saute until a bit soft but still firm (don't burn the garlic-it makes it bitter)
    Add crushed tomatoes, rotel tomatoes and tomato paste
    Add crushed red pepper to taste
    Add 2 TBS oregano
    Add the basil
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Add water
    Simmer on low heat

In a bowl, add:

Ground beef
    2 eggs
    salt, pepper, crushed red pepper to taste
    1 cup breadcrumbs
    remaining peppers, onions and carrots
    1 TBS oregano
    1 clove garlic

Mix the meat with your hands and form into large balls. I throw the meatballs hard from hand to hand to tenderize.
    Take 1 little mozzarella ball and put into the center of the meatballs and reform
    coat meatballs in breadcrumbs

In a pan, heat 2 TBS olive oil
    Fry the meatballs 2 at a time until browned on all sides
    If you run out of olive oil, add more
    Add the meatballs to the sauce and cover
    Cook the sauce and meatballs on low until thoroughly cooked (you can keep the sauce on low for as long as you want after that)

Boil spaghetti until al dente
    Strain and add some sauce to the spaghetti pot and put spaghetti in, cooking for about 1 minute so the pasta absorbs the sauce
    Top spaghetti with sauce and meatballs and Parmesan cheese

Enjoy :)
  2. SeemsPerfect

SeemsPerfect Guest

Mmmmmmm...that sounds really good. A lot better than the spaghetti I make...you know...the kind fresh out of a can! :biggrin:

I'm the average guy I guess -- I don't have a lot of culinary talent. :sad: I can make decent chicken breast, though. :shy: Nothing special.

I just start with a VERY light glaze of butter...
    Then add a small dash of the following spices (in the order listed):

- Meat Tenderizer
    - Garlic Salt
    - (Regular) Salt
    - Pepper

I then sprinkle a decent amount of parsley flakes atop the chicken...
    Place in a pre-heated oven of 425 degrees Fahrenheit (about 218 degrees Celsius)...
    And bake for 20 to 30 minutes.

Then enjoy with whatever sides you choose to compliment the main dish.
  3. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

That sounds great! I love the freshness of parsely! My chicken always turns out dry, maybe because I only cook it at 350. I'm gonna cook it at a higher temp next time :)
  4. SeemsPerfect

SeemsPerfect Guest

Yeah, I love parsely also. I place it on practically everything...within reason of course. :smile:

I don't know if it makes any difference but when I bake the chicken it's uncovered. People say it makes a difference (covered -vs- uncovered) but I have no idea. :unsure: I'm the same guy who can't cook rice. I'm not kidding...I've ruined 2 pots trying to cook RICE!...lol Now I just use the instant type that comes in a bag -- 10 minutes and done. :biggrin:
  5. Syd

Syd Guest

Oh man, everything I look at these days seems to include meat or some dairy product.

I mean, I may not have been a major meat lover before, but I always enjoyed chicken - and SeemsPerfect's dish made me so hungry. Peanut's meatball recipe sounds so delicious it's painful. I love italian food. :(

What's worse is that there is a see-through container full of chocolate covered pretzels upstairs in the kitchen (not mine).. and the chocolate contains milk fat so it's against Veganism.

I've only been a Vegan for 2 weeks but it feels like 2 months. :wallbash:

Maybe I'll try finding a recipe that's vegan-friendly while still being delicious. (I'll need a lot of luck with that!)

I'll let you guys know if I come across anything good.
  6. SeemsPerfect

SeemsPerfect Guest

I found a dessert recipe at a vegan website and I gotta admit -- it sounds really good. Hope I don't burn my place down trying to make it, though. :unsure: ...and I'll steer clear of the 'tofu sour cream.' :biggrin:

Cinnamon Twists

1/3 cup warm water
    1 -1/4 oz. pkg. active dry yeast
    1/2 cup Sucanat (or brown sugar from sugar beets), divided
    1 t. cinnamon
    2 1/2 cups unbleached flour
    1/2 cup soy flour
    3 T. arrowroot
    1 t. sea salt
    1/8 t. baking soda
    3/4 cup vegan tofu sour cream
    1/4 cup non-hydrogenated vegan margarine, divided

Line two cookie sheets with pieces of parchment paper and set aside. In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine the warm water and yeast, stir to dissolve the yeast, and set aside until bubbly, about 10-15 minutes. In a small bowl, place 1/3 cup of Sucanat and cinnamon, stir well, and set aside. In a large bowl, place the flour, soy flour, the remaining Sucanat, arrowroot, salt, and baking soda, and stir well to combine. Add the yeast mixture, sour cream, and 2 T. of the margarine, and stir well to form a soft dough.

Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and knead, adding additional flour if needed, until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Roll the dough into a 24 x 6-inch rectangle. Spread the remaining 2 T. of margarine over the entire surface, sprinkle the reserved Sucanat-cinnamon mixture lengthwise over one half of the dough, and then fold the other half of the dough over to enclose the cinnamon filling. Using your fingers, gently press around all the edges to seal. Using a sharp knife or pastry wheel cutter, cut the dough into 24 1-inch strips.

To shape the twists: hold one of the cut strips at both ends, twist in opposite directions, place on the prepared cookie sheets, and press both ends of the twist to the parchment paper to help them keep their shape. Repeat the shaping procedure for the remaining strips and space them 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets. Cover the cookie sheets with clean towels, place in a warm place, and set them aside to rise for 1 hour. Carefully remove the towels and then bake at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature. Store completely cooled cinnamon twists in an airtight container.

They say the above recipe makes 24 cinnamon twists.
  7. Syd

Syd Guest

Haha. Thanks for posting that. I doubt I would ever try to actually cook something like that myself, well.. at least not without some coffee or Redbull first. ;p

I like large quantities of food that is easy to prepare like potatoes, spaghetti, rice, fruit, etc.

Pizza has been a tough break for me. I always enjoyed that. At least I still have the carbonated throat-burning goodness of soda like Coke and Dr. Pepper.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.