fear of never overcoming social awkwardness

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by sadhart, Aug 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sadhart

sadhart Well-Known Member

Everytime I try to open up, especially to the opposite sex (female) I find myself struggling to not come off as awkward. Yeah, I don't want to go into too much detasil simply because I'm tired of explaining the situations in detail. I'll just say that when I compare myself to other people, it just seems so natural for them. I'm getting to the point when I just want to give up trying to have a decent social life. Sorry for being vague.

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Maybe you are just trying too hard. Maybe you should relax a little and let things come naturally.

3. sadhart

I don't really force myself to be social. Really, I am holding back too much. And at my age (32) I don't really think that is normal.

4. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Maybe you shouldn't hold back so much.

5. sadhart

...I know you're trying to help, so I'll just say thanks anyway.

6. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I usually overcome social awkwardness by making a joke, making light of whatever we're talking about, it usually works too. I do understand though- there was one day last week I was feeling very anxious but had to go out, I kept my head down...I usually try and pretend I'm somewhere else but to be honest the thing that helps me the most is anti anxiety medication. I am a totally different person while the drug is working. I have come a LONG way though, and maybe still some bit to go... but I think/hope it can be overcome completely.

7. Lunar90

Lunar90 New Member

While my experiences are most likely totally irrelevant, since everyone is different. (And strangely I get along with the opposite sex better. ) I understand the feeling of hopelessness, in this topic anyways.

But I'm completely terrible at "social chit-chat", I never understood it, never will.
    Combined with my social anxiety, it can take me hours to even start a conversation.
    Totally not cool.

But anyways. It is something that is really hard to understand to those who are "normal".
    Even 2 days ago, my sister had a small get-together here, 8 guests, and she excepted me to open up to them, make friends, etc...
    Obviously, it never worked out. But it hasn't worked out in the last 5 years ever!

And I'm so damn envious of every single one of them. ^^

I personally just accepted this.
    Now obviously this ain't a really good solution, but it just helps me keep my balance.
    It helps me being "contented" with my life. (Yup, I read loads of Buddhist materials. They are... nice. )
    And maybe along the way I can solve it.

8. sadhart

Thanks for sharing this, and welcome to the forum. I guess for me, I try to accept how I am (socially awkward) but it becomes frustrating when I really do want to have a decent social life. I don't know....maybe it's just not for me or something.

9. sadhart

I'm not really into taking meds....I don't like the stigma, in particualr the external ones that come with them. But thank you for the advice no less.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.