Fear of Surviving and Not Completing the Act

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by hall, May 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hall

hall Member

I am ready to depart but am afraid of messing up and surviving with, for example, brain damage. I am also afraid of suffering pain, but am willing to do so if the outcome is successful. I am in my late 50s and cannot remember a day when I didn't want to die. I have slowly distanced myself from friends and do not feel I would damage anyone else if I bail out. I am not looking for a reason to live, but a guarantee that I will successfully complete the dying process. If anyone would like to comment, I'd be grateful.

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

As with any method, there is no guarantee that any of them will actually kill you. Some people have survived strange things and there is always risk that you will end up as a vegatable should your method fail. Suicide isn't the only answer. Why don't you try talking to us and share with us what has brought you to this point and brought you here to SF? :hug:

3. spidy

spidy Well-Known Member

Unfortually most that attempt stuff it up and have more probs to deal with.The best thing to do is find some support network and deal with what you are going through.If you bail out yes it does affect others lifes too>Do you have a therapist friends etc reach out let somebody help you find your inner strength again.You also can keep reaching out here too as you will find plenty of support and no judgement.Please take care and welcome to the forum.

4. MrsStavrogin

MrsStavrogin Active Member

As Amethyst Moon said: nothing is certain. Of course, there are pretty certain methods but it's almost impossible to get a hold of the stuff needed. And I'm sure you've already heard stories of people surviving some ridiculously deadly endeavors. There's no foolproof plan. It's easier to try therapy instead. I know you're tired, but at least give it a try. Try something that you think will be good for you but never had the guts to try. You WILL die, we all will eventually, but you won't always be able to make a choice to do something different, good and useful for yourself.

5. hall

hall Member

Thank you. The fact that you have all replied is most helpful.

6. spidy

spidy Well-Known Member

I m glad you have accepted that please let ppl help you and keep posting on this forum for support

7. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

Hi Hall,
    I am in my early 50's, so not too big a difference from you in age. I know you're not looking for people to "talk you out" of anything, and that's not my intention. I realize from my own experience that if someone wants to do something like this, they will do it if they want and no amount of prevention or watchful eye is going to change that. Life is a gift that we all have and what we do with that gift is up to each of us to decide. If we decide to give that gift back, however, it changes more than anything. There's no turning around later because this can't be undone. On the scale of things, life is very short. Even if one lives to 100, it's not long enough. Do you remember when you were younger, all the things you did that you now look back at with either regret, or with the thought that you know better now and would have done things different? As we grow older, we gain wisdom. If we could be born with the wisdom that we die with, we'd really be a force to be reckoned with, I think!

There are many roads that one can take in life. Many lead to dead ends, and many are false roads with pot holes and detour signs at every curve. When you hit one of those roads that just lead nowhere, isn't it better to stop and turn around... go back to start and try again with another path? Sometimes adopting a whole new paradigm can make the difference from misery to happiness.

If life is good and you make a change, it could ruin the good things you have going. If, however, things are not so great... then what is there to hurt to make a change? Can it get any worse?

I hope you'll stop, turn back, and find another road to travel. A road that does not lead to death. Keep the gift of living and adopt a change in how you live it. Reach out, as you have here, and find new friends. Find new motivations. Find new challenges and fight.

8. hall

hall Member

Thanks for such a thoughtful reply. Will spend some serious time deciding how to do as you say. I would so much like a new road to travel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.