Feel isolated, no friends and can't seem to make them

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by elvinchild, Jun 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elvinchild

elvinchild Well-Known Member

I live alone and the isolation is killing me. All but two of my friends have left and moved on, and the ones left live so far away and work so much I see them once a week or less. I'm really shy and it's really hard for me to make friends with my job - it's not like I work at the same place 9-5 every day, and I don't go to school either so I go nowhere that I can get to know people. I am a musician and most of my jobs are at events like weddings or cocktail hours where nobody talks to me, or sleezy bars where drunk dudes just try to hit on me. I do try to befriend people I meet but men just want to get in my pants and have no interest in platonic friendship, and women seem uninterested when I invite them to hang out. I can't live in this solitude forever, and I don't know how to bring people back into my life anymore. :/
  2. MisterBGone

Hello elvinchild, I sure do wish I could help you. At one time, I was four different people's best friend. And now, not a one or them are to be found. I tried to pick up my guitar to-day & sing, but no notes came out. I think that musicians are some of the most wonderful people to spend time with, so that's one advantage that you've got right there. You're interesting. I would suggest taking advantage of any opportunity to talk to any body in almost any situation at all (less the compromising scenarios you spoke of). I feel that given the time for some one to get to know you a real genuine friendship can flourish before you know it. And for the record, I have great respect for the performing artist. So, keep up the hard work and good luck. Sincerely, MisterBGone
  3. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

Maybe try finding some hobbies that you can meet people with? it must be tough in your situation because of your job but I'm sure there's a ton of ppl out there that would enjoy hanging out with you.
  4. Constantinos

Constantinos Well-Known Member

Hello elvinchild,

Ok you seem to want to have friends but you don't currently have any. I want you to think about what you can do maybe as a hobby that will also allow you to meet people - what interests you? Maybe helping out in an organization helping animals? etc
  5. damage.case

damage.case Well-Known Member

I have the opposite problem. Women think I just want to get in their pants even if I don't.
  6. lachrymose27

lachrymose27 Well-Known Member

That line is so beautiful. I bet your music speaks for you. Can't stand the solitude either, don't see a point in life if you have nothing to live for.
  7. oxygenidia

oxygenidia Well-Known Member

Hello. I have a similar problem. Isolation and solitude is hard, and gets harder as time goes by. I have a basic problem of bonding with people (allthough I do bond with some people) and it just doesn't come natural to me. And the older you get, I guess the harder it gets. I soo recognice what you're saying about men wanting to get in your pants and women being totally uninterested. Like you, I'm looking to connect with people in a platonic way, genuine friendship and support. It just doesn't seem to be very easy to find. Please pm me if you need to talk.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.