Feeling ARRRRGGGGH!

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Acy, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Bit of a rant here. I’m feeling so ARRRRGGGGH!

I have been unemployed for over a year now. In all that time, I’ve had two job interviews. Only two! (And obviously, I didn’t get either job.) I’ve even gone to employment agencies/”headhunters,” and they aren’t calling me with jobs either.

I have two university degrees and a community college “vocational” certificate. I’ve got almost 20 years of work experience in administrative and clerical work, as well as other “transferable” skills in project management (e.g., budgets, profit and loss statements, team lead, progress tracking, hiring/firing, general research, writing).

I do volunteer work and I absolutely love it. I could even see myself doing it as a “paid job.” However, I need an MSW (masters degree in social work) to even be considered for that sort of “paid work”. (My dream was to get a “good enough for now” job and start saving so I could eventually do the MSW as part-time studies. That idea is hanging by a rapidly fraying thread.)

I am sooooo frustrated! I can’t help feeling that there’s something wrong with me, or I’m doing something really wrong, or I’m too old (I’m not a teen or even a 30-something… and I don’t have my “whole life ahead of me”).

No job. No money. Sick of f***ing peanut butter sandwiches or noodles for dinner! Beginning to get scared that I’ll never get work, my dream will go POOF!, and my mood will plummet (again!)…and things will just go downhill from there…

Has anyone else had a hard time finding work? Has anyone conducted a successful job search lately? How do you keep your spirits up?

Any tips, advice, commiseration, support will be very much appreciated.

Sorry for whingeing!

2. taranama

taranama Well-Known Member

thats so ridiculous...if the people don't hire you because of your age then thats called ageism!!! such a shame..all those fantastic qualifications!! i tell you, i'd be happy eith just one degree at this stage of the day! in this country you'd be like gold dust. every one would want to hire you.... god damn that pacific ocean!!

3. sudut

sudut Well-Known Member

keep looking you will find a job. i am in social work undergrad and here in canada there are lots of social work jobs for undergrads.

4. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Hi, Taranama and Sudut. I hope all's well with you. I appreciate your support in your replies! Thank you also to "you know who you are" for PMing. That also helps so much!

For some reason things got to me today (Grrr). Good thing I'm like a terrier, I don't give up easily. Off to the internet job banks again on Wednesday! :rolleyes:

Thank you again. :smile:

:hug:

A.

5. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

If you're here in the UK then join the boat of the over 40s on the scrapheap.
    Seems no matter how qualified, or how much experience they don't want to know.
    My best friend is 35, took a year out to have a baby and can't get back into her job, despite being the only female Java certified programmer in the country :dry: The reason they give...its a young person industry :mad:

Hope your tenacity pays off :hug:

6. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

i don't have my degree (BS, or BA) i get work occasionally that kicks ass. Most times, just enough to get rice and beans. Try for G school with Grants stipend .... i dunno but so many seem to get through with so little.

it sucks that no matter how much you actually know and how skilled you are it just doesn't matter because you don't have those little letters next to your name . . . ..

7. joekerr333

joekerr333 New Member

wow. im in the same boat.

two degrees. unemployed for a year. ive had a great day today as well...

1) found out my unemployment assistance just ran out
    2) was just rejected for a job that would have been my DREAM job. did 4 interviews over 2 months with them. they even flew me to their headquarters for a face-to-face interview. a month later (today) i get the rejection email.

dude, all i can tell you is that i truly FEEL YOUR PAIN. at least you have volunteering to help lift your moods.

i've been putzing around for a year doing nothing.

and now im about to start eating up all my savings just to survive.

i'm sooooooooooooooo down in the dumps today its not even funny. i don't know what im going to do.

heck, i even sent emails to ex colleagues who are probably chuckling over the dilemma i'm in (people who were envious of the success i had when i was working) - thats how desperate I am.

all you or I can do though is to keep hanging in there. i tell ya, i wanted to check out today, but i told myself to stick it out. when the day comes where im flat broke, maybe i'll change my mind.

anyway, YOU ARE NOT ALONE! i'm going through the exact same thing you are. in my last job i was making 100k. now its been a year and i can't get hired. i mean, this is idiotic - im smart, have 2 degrees, have experience.

the world is a VERY f*cked up place right now in terms of employment.

I honestly don't think its going to be very long before we see people losing their heads and rioting outside the whitehouse or something.