Feeling bad when a thread gets no replies

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by snarrylover, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

Sometimes I'll open a new thread and read the post there but not reply. Not because I don't care, but because I'm scared of saying the wrong thing, or not saying enough. And then I'll think about the person who made the post and how they must feel so alone.

I can't be the only one, right?

Also...lol if this post gets no replies.

2. midnightstar

midnightstar Senior Member

Same here - sometimes I just don't know what to say to help the member in pain

3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I get what you mean. If I don't know what to say, I will usually just tell the poster that they are being heard :) Sometimes just to write down how you feel/or know someone is listening is enough for someone. You are most certainly not alone, I'm sure all of us have read a post but we didn't know how to reply!

4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Many times there are no words to say hun so one just says we understand and wish we could do more to help them

5. paulhewson

paulhewson Well-Known Member

I feel bad when I have no good advice to offer. I wish I could say something to help. The stories are heartbreaking. I know if someone has gotten to a point where they're posting on a suicide forum, they're in a bad spot. I know, I've posted here.

6. Ralderable

Ralderable Active Member

I know the feeling :(

7. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I know the feeling well.

8. SaraRose

SaraRose Well-Known Member

I know that feeling. There's some posts that I read and my heart breaks because I want to help but I either can't think of the right stuff to say, or more commonly I'm currently dealing with the exactly same problem and haven't worked it out myself so I can't offer any advice. I feel horrible when I can't say the right thing to help the person either!

9. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Yeah, I feel the same way. Sometimes even if I say what seems to be good advice, they might take it the wrong way, and we both end up feeling bad. So in that case, I usually leave it up to someone else to answer, someone who is more knowledgeable to what is being asked.

10. xsomewhatdamagedx

xsomewhatdamagedx Well-Known Member

It's a bit scary to post things on here sometimes because I don't want the things I may say to be taken in the wrong way and I don't want to upset people either so I choose to stay silent in a lot of cases.

11. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

99% if the topics I open.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.