Feeling Extra Crumby

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Looking For A Reason, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I feel like I can't catch a break. I owe several people lots of money along with going to school for which I also owe several thousand dollars. It's overwhelming. I had a couple job interviews but no one will hire me because of my drug possession record. I made a mistake and it appears it will be haunting me for quite some time. I am a disappointment to my parents. When you hear your own parents tell you you are a disappointment it crushes you. I just need something, anything to get me going. I need a spark. Whenever I get going and on a positive track something is there to knock me back down. I feel as if I have a curse. Nothing seems to go right. I feel like giving up.
  2. NickHalden

NickHalden Member

Hey there,

I too have a record that affects my professional career. But I promise you it's worse than possession. For me I was a successful professional before my arrest, at age 25. I lost my job, my fiancee, and my friends. I ended up moving back in with my dad (the one guy I've spent my whole life trying to get approval from). I tried to get a few jobs matching my previous status and salary prior to my arrest, with no avail. Eventually I landed a lower status job, in an adjacent field. They didn't really care about my arrest record, as long as I could perform on the job. That job eventually lead to new contacts and networks and I now work as a professional in my field again. It was tough, and I have a shameful past. I recently tried to move into a better part of town, but with my arrest always showing up on my background check, I seem to be stuck where I am.

But, keep trying. Getting interviews is all about sending your resume to as many places as possible, and customizing your resume to each job description.

Best Regards,

3. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I am so sorry. What are, or were you studying in school? I have an idea. People who are used to me know I always post about this. But I think they have listings of all kinds of resources. Would you be interessted in calling United way? They have a huge database of services that are free. Maybe there is a little known group that helps people with records to get jobs. I had good luck finding someting obscure when I called them. usually all people have to do is call 211. That is uaually the phone number for united way.

And by the way, I am very sorry to read that your parents tell you that you are a dissapointment. That is SO unhelpful. I hope you can find some kind of support for what you are going through. And I am glad you are here. This is a great place to not be totally alone with the pain. :hug:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.