Feeling Extra Crumby

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Looking For A Reason, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I feel like I can't catch a break. I owe several people lots of money along with going to school for which I also owe several thousand dollars. It's overwhelming. I had a couple job interviews but no one will hire me because of my drug possession record. I made a mistake and it appears it will be haunting me for quite some time. I am a disappointment to my parents. When you hear your own parents tell you you are a disappointment it crushes you. I just need something, anything to get me going. I need a spark. Whenever I get going and on a positive track something is there to knock me back down. I feel as if I have a curse. Nothing seems to go right. I feel like giving up.

2. NickHalden

NickHalden Member

Hey there,

I too have a record that affects my professional career. But I promise you it's worse than possession. For me I was a successful professional before my arrest, at age 25. I lost my job, my fiancee, and my friends. I ended up moving back in with my dad (the one guy I've spent my whole life trying to get approval from). I tried to get a few jobs matching my previous status and salary prior to my arrest, with no avail. Eventually I landed a lower status job, in an adjacent field. They didn't really care about my arrest record, as long as I could perform on the job. That job eventually lead to new contacts and networks and I now work as a professional in my field again. It was tough, and I have a shameful past. I recently tried to move into a better part of town, but with my arrest always showing up on my background check, I seem to be stuck where I am.

But, keep trying. Getting interviews is all about sending your resume to as many places as possible, and customizing your resume to each job description.

Best Regards,

-Nick

3. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I am so sorry. What are, or were you studying in school? I have an idea. People who are used to me know I always post about this. But I think they have listings of all kinds of resources. Would you be interessted in calling United way? They have a huge database of services that are free. Maybe there is a little known group that helps people with records to get jobs. I had good luck finding someting obscure when I called them. usually all people have to do is call 211. That is uaually the phone number for united way.

And by the way, I am very sorry to read that your parents tell you that you are a dissapointment. That is SO unhelpful. I hope you can find some kind of support for what you are going through. And I am glad you are here. This is a great place to not be totally alone with the pain. :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.