Feeling frustrated regarding my weight

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by Petal, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I have put on 2.2 stone (32lbs) in the last about 6 weeks. I was already 17.5 stone now I am 19.9 stone (278 lbs) I was comfort eating and did not care about my weight until yesterday the doctor weighed me and told me I was 19.9 stone, I was shocked, amazed thinking what the hell, it's a health hazard just not for reasons of how I look too. I need to ACT now.

Does anyone have any tips?

I need to lose about 9 stone (126lbs) I am so ashamed, humiliated. I have to lose weight. I was once under weight at 6 stone in 2008, since starting the heavy psych meds in 2010/2011 I have gained weight rapidly.

Can anyone help or can someone recommend anything that can help?

2. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

PM me and let's talk.

3. caspar

caspar Well-Known Member

What kinds of things do you eat on a daily basis? (If you don't want to post this then don't worry). Where do you think you are going wrong? Do you snack too much or just eating the wrong kinds of food? The best way to lose weight is by eating healthily, don't eat processed or fast food, or takeaways (limit that to maybe once every 2 weeks at most). Don't drink your calories, drink water and tea instead. Eat loads of vegetables, they're really low in calories, you can pig out on them tbh. Eat a small amount of fat, ie fat like olive oil when cooking or on salads, or avocados - not saturated fat. Don't bother with low fat alternatives, they're full of sugar and not as filling. Sorry if all of that is old news to you.

Also a more systematic method is finding out your maintenance calories (there's loads of calculators for this if you google), then using the myfitnesspal app to log everything you eat, so you can keep your calories at the amount you need to lose weight. Might seem a bit of a pain in the ass but it does work.

4. Petal

I have private messaged you, thanks.

I will be honest, I was drinking a LOT of sugary drinks and lots of chocolate and chinese meals, fries, jacket potatoes loaded with cheese,ribs with sticky sauce.

Yesterday after the doctor appointment I have switched to drinking diet coke, almond milk, eating rice cakes, wholemeal sandwiches and wheat bread, roasted chicken. I know I can lose weight because I have done it before. I was on a plane last week and I had to ask for an extension onto my seatbelt cos the belt wouldn't fit. I just had a shower, in my defence we have a small shower but I had a little trouble getting into it. Humiliated :( but if I need help I must be honest so here it is!

5. Senada

Senada Well-Known Member

I just wanted to give you a :hug: I understand that it's frustrating. I think, like Caspar says, that you need to get an overview over all you eat and drink, and then go from there. You can do it, I'm sure!

6. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

I was just noticing your other thread- this is the same time period since you quit smoking. Gaining 20+ lbs when quit smoking is very common as smoking is an oral habit like eating so is replaced by eating. May not help much, but could well be the reason behind the sudden weight gain.

7. Petal

Oh yes Ben, you are correct, I didn't even connect them, 6 weeks since I'm off cigarettes and in 6 weeks piled on the lbs. I don't feel as bad now to be honest :lol:

8. caspar

caspar Well-Known Member

That's good that you're being honest with yourself, so many people don't really know where they're going wrong. You can still eat things like jacket potatoes, just with healthier fillings like chickpea salad or tuna with a small amount of mayonnaise/creme fraiche. Go sparse on the cheese! You could also try eating a side salad with most of your dinners, and always eat fruit or veg with every meal. You can still have treats like chocolate every day if you want, just have small portions. Some foods are much more calorie dense than others, so it's easier to overeat on them, here's a few links illustrating this: what 200 calories looks like, what 2000 calories looks like, another what 200 cal looks like.

That's good about the drinks, with almond milk just make sure you get the unsweetened as it's much lower in calories, the normal one has the same calories as cow's milk. The good news is that it's actually easier (physically, not necessarily mentally) to lose weight the more overweight you are, as you need more calories to maintain a higher weight. So saying your average calorie intake is 3000, if you cut back to 2500 you will lose a pound a week! (1 pound = 3500 calories)

9. Petal

It is unsweetened almond milk :) I bought some again today, it's actually delicious and I bought chicken breasts and had them with roasted vegetables. I bought some chocolate rice cakes, a small pack of 6, I ate them all. My appetite is huge so I need to find filling foods. Drinking diet coke and water.

Thanks so much for your help and I will check out those links!

Hugs to you :hug:

10. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Yeah, my friend gained weight too when she stopped smoking. It's like trading one habit for another. But you just need to find something to occupy your time that won't be detrimental to you. One thing that might work is going low carb. That means cutting out anything very sugary and sweet, like donuts, regular soda, cookies, candy, etc. and things like white bread, potatoes, white rice. You can eat healthy carbs like whole grain bread and rice, fruits and veggies, and lots of protein. It's not easy to just cut things out of your diet. You don't have to go cold turkey though. Occasionally I will have regular soda or something bad for me, but not as much as I used to. If you get hungry, try to find a healthier alternative to whatever it is that you are craving, or just have a small portion of a sweet and not overdo it. Good luck, I know you can do this :)

11. Petal

Thanks witty, great advice you have given me there, I have already switched to low carb :) I do not even like sweets that much, I remember before the diet leader telling us that its all about keeping ourselves full all the time. I don't drink enough water, i know that much. I also know drinking water speeds the metabolism up by 10pc which is useful info.

I appreciate your help and advice :)

12. Northern

Northern SF Supporter

Hello my friend.

2 little thing:

1-Diet soda are not good to help you lose weight. they make our body crave for real sugar.
    Like you said, try to drink more water.

2- Exercise is your best friend. Not only it help to lose weight by burning calories but it make us want good food. A salad feel much better than a steak after good exercise. There is a lot you can do without equipements even inside. google some stuff.

good luck :hug:

13. Northern

Northern SF Supporter

Hello my friend.

2 little thing:

1-Diet soda are not good to help you lose weight. they make our body crave for real sugar.
    Like you said, try to drink more water.

2- Exercise is your best friend. Not only it help to lose weight by burning calories but it make us want good food. A salad feel much better than a steak after good exercise. There is a lot you can do without equipements even inside. google some stuff.

good luck :hug:

14. Petal

Thank you Northern, I think I will start walking (I have a treadmill but lose interest in it), I should be out there exercising! Thanks for the well wishes and advice :)

15. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Yeah, I drink a lot of water too. Diet soda is mostly for when I am craving soda but don't want to have the extra calories from regular soda. You have lost weight before, I know you can do it again :) Just stay motivated and don't get discouraged if it doesn't happen quickly, slow and steady is the best and you will get there eventually :)

16. Petal

Down to 275lbs now.

17. Rhydian

Rhydian Active Member

It hasn't been said here. But many people have problems because they think eating less helps lose weight. Don't skip meals. It ensures you will be hungrier (and thus more likely to overeat) during the next meal. I would also suggest you start a journal, I know you dealt with this before so maybe you have. But it makes it easier to get everything you need and avoiding with you don't.

Also, to go a little nerd, protein is more filling than fat at less that half the caloric intake per gram. (Protein is 4 kcal/g and fat is 9 kcal/g) So when you can, choose a protein rich meal over fat. Fish for example. Fibrous vegetables are also great. They come with less calories but still can fill you.

Lastly, celery has such a low caloric count (6 calories per stock iirc) that snacking on it doesn't actually gain you any calories, you burn off more chewing and digesting it. You stomach will stick believe you ate however. Just a small tip.

18. Petal

@No Name

Thanks for your advice & support. Yes, I am keeping a journal of what I eat. I was aware about protein burning more calories than fat, i'm eating lean meats, vegetables such as peas and carrots.

Drinking unsweetened Almond milk/water/pepsie max /diet coke.

Thanks for the tips, i will make sure to keep on top of the journal to see exactly what I'm eating or need to cut out/change :)

19. caspar

caspar Well-Known Member

20. Petal

Thanks caspar, some of those meals look delicious. I am the same weight as when I started this thread. Have not lost any but not gained any.

I actually bought a new journal today, i sprained my foot around 10 days ago so exercise is a no-no right now. I need to rest it. But will get back to exercising when it's healed :)