Feeling like what's the point!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToHelp

Are you depressed? Employed? Got a family?

Ultimately there probably *is* no point if you're living in misery.

Life is about the now; the present. The reason I asked those first two questions is people who have a clear daily purpose and and role in their lives are less likely ponder your subject title.

ToHelp

ToHelp

I briefly reviewed your posts. You're an active alcoholic. You hear voices. Do you hear voices; i.e, schizophrenic?

Have you been abused in some way in the past?

There are so many hurtin' souls on here it's difficult for me to know what your orginal issue is. :smile: But if you want to talk, I am right here.

ToHelp

ToHelp

True that. We didn't ask to be born. Rather, our existence is thrust upon upon us. Deism/theism aside, the point of life rests upon the inividual's capacity to actualize (create); to "keep necessary. One keen example is to place onself in a setting where you are needed. Then voilá: It's not always about "me," "me," "me."

Titanic, helping others has a magnifent effect. :smile: It's reciprocal, as both sides feel deeply rewarded. So there's at leat one stand-out point for ya.

ToHelp

wallflower

Well I feel useless...and pointless...and I can't seem to accomplish any of my goals. I am just not that know it all. What really is the point of life?
It's so...seems life is just about being stuck. I'd rather not be conformed to this body. If there was anything else besides the form, this earth, then I would like to go...I would rather be there than here. I'm stuck here and really there is no obviouse purpose to life other than for us to procreate.

ToHelp

What about people who can't help others?
That is a fascinating question. Let me think on it.

Wallflower: "I am just not that know it all."

Philosophers like to ponder life, its meaning, even its existence. They do these weird little mental exercises that never made much sense to me, like Plato's Allegory of the Cave or, what if we are all just the subjects of a higher being's dream?

"What really is the point of life?"
As you have answered: Biologically, it is to proceate (and evolve).

But we alone (the homo sapien thus far to our knowledge) are self-aware. Intelligent. Capable of language. Capable of... reason.

And just enough capable to ask "What really is the point of life?" Caught ya thinking. :tongue:

This "being self-aware" is just too much for many. Others seem able to cope just fine with fundamental uncertainty. Even atheists. But for others, is it a curse.

It is in the nature of man to ask, then seek to find answers. The Greek philosopher Socrates who lived centuries before the birth of Christ said, "All I know is that I know nothing."

A comtemporary spin on that is "Wisdom is not knowing."

Chicaincrisis. You asked what about people who can't help others. Hmm. I dunno. Don't know if such a human exists whose shared experience cannot be learned from. What is your concept of helping others?

ToHelp

Last edited by a moderator:

titanic

Thanks for the encouraging posts! :blink:

No such thing as can't help someone. Just a kind word or a smile can help brighten up someones day. :biggrin:

titanic

Well I feel useless...and pointless...and I can't seem to accomplish any of my goals. I am just not that know it all. What really is the point of life?
It's so...seems life is just about being stuck. I'd rather not be conformed to this body. If there was anything else besides the form, this earth, then I would like to go...I would rather be there than here. I'm stuck here and really there is no obviouse purpose to life other than for us to procreate.
Change the goal post :smile: reassess your goals. We often have a tendency to set out goals too high based on other's expectations of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$135.00
Goal
$255.00