feeling numb

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by wonderer, Mar 6, 2010.

1. wonderer

wonderer Well-Known Member

I feel like I can't feel my own emotions.

One of my closest friends recently asked me out. I really really like him, and have known for a long time that this is someone I want in my life in the long term and want to be close to. He spent a night here this week, and we cuddled and we talked quite a bit, and I know I really enjoyed it, but at the same time can't feel the enjoyment. Which, I know, makes no sense. The only other time I've felt this way is when I've been reallllyyyyy depressed, but I've been feeling pretty good for almost a year now.

Part of it is that I'm scared things will go badly because they did with my last boyfriend. And those memories are brought back a lot because we mutually decided to keep this a secret, for now, from our friends because we don't want my ex to find out (we're all friends with the same group of people).

I am just so confused as to why I can't feel my feelings right now. I really like this guy, but I just feel kinda numb. Like, this is nice, but I can't feel anything deeper than that. And I know its there, its just not accessible.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

It is just fear holding back those emotions those feeling You are afraid right now but in time it will come okay don't force it just enjoy his friendship.
  3. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I think it sounds like a protection mechanism from the hurt that could arise, to be honest.
  4. wonderer

wonderer Well-Known Member

Any suggestions on how to get over the numb feeling? I know I have feelings for this guy, and I really don't like feeling this way.
  5. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Just try to be open with your feelings if your afraid let him know and why.
    once you have built up a trust the emotions will come easier take one step at a time move slowly Just be your true self.