Feeling on Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lone_Wolf

Going to therapy has been beneficial but it's triggered a lot of memories in me. Memories I thought I had buried. I keep having intrusive thoughts my abuser and it feels like they are touching my skin and it makes me feel on edge. I wear long and thick clothing to make the feeling go away but its starting to get hot outside. I'm starting to have nightmares again. I'm also reminded of two other times in which someone tried to kidnap me.

I have a young appearance so at the store recently, a creepy guy tried to come up to my car, open the door, and take me out of it and this other guy was watching me at another store and tried to follow me into the bathroom.

I'm feeling really on edge. I feel violated.

Sorry to hear that you are going through this

All of this sounds terrible

Are you getting any treatment now? There might be some other treatments that could help.

Lone_Wolf

Sorry to hear that you are going through this

All of this sounds terrible

Are you getting any treatment now? There might be some other treatments that could help.
I've been going to therapy for 11 weeks and I started seeing a psychiatrist 2 weeks ago but I haven't started started talking about the trauma. It's still too difficult for me. It's easier for me to write all down here or do art about my feelings. My therapist says she wants to try art next time during the session to see if it makes it easier for me.

There's some alternative and self-help methods that might help that I could describe, if you are interested.

I think there may be some anti-depressants and other drugs that the psychiatrist could prescribe that could help with the nightmares, but imho, it's better to try alternative or self-help methods first.

Lone_Wolf

There's some alternative and self-help methods that might help that I could describe, if you are interested.

I think there may be some anti-depressants and other drugs that the psychiatrist could prescribe that could help with the nightmares, but imho, it's better to try alternative or self-help methods first.
Yes, that would be really helpful.

Ok, I'll try.
I've been going to therapy for 11 weeks and I started seeing a psychiatrist 2 weeks ago but I haven't started started talking about the trauma
I think it's ok to not talk about the trauma.

Hopefully though, there's a way the psychiatrist can have enough information to make a correct diagnosis. If you haven't mentioned symptoms like nightmares, hearing voices, hallucinations, or tactile symptoms, it might be helpful to. If a psychiatrist asks about traumatic experiences, I think it's ok to say something like "I'm not comfortable talking about that".

Mirtazipine is often prescribed for treating nightmares, so you might want to ask about that.

From the perspective of traditional Chinese medicine, including an herb like rosemary in your diet and a food like rice would have a calmative effect, and may help reduce your nightmares.

Within the aromatherapy tradition, rosemary essential oil is thought to be beneficial for treating nightmares. I don't have much personal experience with aromatherapy, but you might want to try putting some rosemary essential oil on your pillow before bed, or put some rosemary essential oil in an electric diffuser at night. It might be cheaper to get some fresh rosemary and grind it up, I don't know.

Acupuncture and traditional Chinese herbal medicine might be helpful. Acupuncture has been endorsed by the World Health Organization for treating a variety of conditions.

Acupuncture can be expensive. There are some affordable options though, such as teaching clinics and community acupuncture.

Acupuncture schools almost always have a teaching clinic. Usually teaching clinics offer affordable care at reasonable prices, and sometimes even offer free care. Between teaching clinics and community acupuncture, my guess is that a teaching clinic would be a better option.

Usually the best way to find a teaching clinic is to search online for "acupuncture schools in [your location]". Once you've found a school's homepage, there's usually a link for a teaching clinic.

Another option is a community clinic. POCAcoop.com has a list of community acupuncture clinics in the US and a few other locations. Acmac.net has listings in the UK and a couple in Europe.

Lone_Wolf

Ok, I'll try.

I think it's ok to not talk about the trauma.

Hopefully though, there's a way the psychiatrist can have enough information to make a correct diagnosis. If you haven't mentioned symptoms like nightmares, hearing voices, hallucinations, or tactile symptoms, it might be helpful to. If a psychiatrist asks about traumatic experiences, I think it's ok to say something like "I'm not comfortable talking about that".
Mirtazipine is often prescribed for treating nightmares, so you might want to ask about that.
I've mentioned that I have nightmares and that I was abused but I only spoke to them about the nightmares and tacile symptoms I have associated with my hospitalization and not related to the abuse. I'll ask about the mirtazipine. I didn't know there was a medication for nightmares.

From the perspective of traditional Chinese medicine, including an herb like rosemary in your diet and a food like rice would have a calmative effect, and may help reduce your nightmares.

Within the aromatherapy tradition, rosemary essential oil is thought to be beneficial for treating nightmares. I don't have much personal experience with aromatherapy, but you might want to try putting some rosemary essential oil on your pillow before bed, or put some rosemary essential oil in an electric diffuser at night. It might be cheaper to get some fresh rosemary and grind it up, I don't know.
I have a diffuser in my bedroom so I'll try this out :)

Acupuncture and traditional Chinese herbal medicine might be helpful. Acupuncture has been endorsed by the World Health Organization for treating a variety of conditions.

Acupuncture can be expensive. There are some affordable options though, such as teaching clinics and community acupuncture.

Acupuncture schools almost always have a teaching clinic. Usually teaching clinics offer affordable care at reasonable prices, and sometimes even offer free care. Between teaching clinics and community acupuncture, my guess is that a teaching clinic would be a better option.

Usually the best way to find a teaching clinic is to search online for "acupuncture schools in [your location]". Once you've found a school's homepage, there's usually a link for a teaching clinic.

Another option is a community clinic. POCAcoop.com has a list of community acupuncture clinics in the US and a few other locations. Acmac.net has listings in the UK and a couple in Europe.
The only issues I have with acupuncture is that I still get really uncomfortable if someone touches my body and my nightmares due to my hospitalizations have to do with the IVs and needles.

Thanks for the advice!

The only issues I have with acupuncture is that I still get really uncomfortable if someone touches my body and my nightmares due to my hospitalizations have to do with the IVs and needles
It sounds like acupuncture wouldn't work out then.

You could still get traditional Chinese herbal medicine. They might want to take you pulse at both wrists though, but maybe they would make an exception if you didn't want to do that.

If you did try getting Chinese herbs, it would be important for your psychiatrist to know what you would be taking, just as it would be important for the herbalist to know what meds you're taking. Herbs are sometimes expensive, so that's another consideration.

Thanks for the advice!
You're welcome! I hope that something can help :)

Lone_Wolf

Prazosin is a blood pressure med that is used for nightmares.
@Lone_Wolf
Thanks for letting me know

It sounds like acupuncture wouldn't work out then.

You could still get traditional Chinese herbal medicine. They might want to take you pulse at both wrists though, but maybe they would make an exception if you didn't want to do that.

If you did try getting Chinese herbs, it would be important for your psychiatrist to know what you would be taking, just as it would be important for the herbalist to know what meds you're taking. Herbs are sometimes expensive, so that's another consideration.

You're welcome! I hope that something can help :)

I found an herbal medicine place near me :) I might try it out after I speak to my psychiatrist

I found an herbal medicine place near me :)
That might be good. I personally only have experience with traditional Chinese herbalism, so it's the only kind of herbalism I recommend.

I might try it out after I speak to my psychiatrist
That sounds like a good idea. Letting both the psychiatrist and the herbalist know what you are taking or are planning to take is generally recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00