• Apologies for the issue with a bizarre redirect on the site earlier today. There was a large server update and an error in an IP address had the traffic routing wrongly. No hacking or anything nefarious and nothing to worry about. Sorry for any stress/anxiety caused. Very best wishes - SF Admin

Feeling out of place...

Status
Not open for further replies.

angelicupstart

Does there come a point where it’s okay to feel like you’re not part of your own family and maybe it’s time you moved on. Because I feel like I’m a shadow and not a person around my family. They’re not happy about me choosing university over finding a job but with the way the world is now, finding a job is going to be hard for everyone, not just people like me who are disabled. I know deep down I’m not ready for work yet and doing this university degree will improve my prospects a lot. And it’s with the Open University which means it’s flexible and works around me and my needs. And it’ll be a good thing for me. I guess I decided to put myself first for once and I’ve found what I want to do. It’s not what others had in mind for me but I put their feelings aside and took a risk. I’ve already registered and I’m excited to get my student finance sorted and choose the modules I want to do.
life is mine for the taking so why can’t I aim to have the career I want not the life my family have planned for me?

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
Hey there
You are the only one that's living this life at the end of the day. They can be dissatisfied with your choice but hopefully the come to support you in that decision when they see you're doing well in your courses. Good luck!

Daphna

Ninja of light
Does there come a point where it’s okay to feel like you’re not part of your own family and maybe it’s time you moved on. Because I feel like I’m a shadow and not a person around my family. They’re not happy about me choosing university over finding a job but with the way the world is now, finding a job is going to be hard for everyone, not just people like me who are disabled. I know deep down I’m not ready for work yet and doing this university degree will improve my prospects a lot. And it’s with the Open University which means it’s flexible and works around me and my needs. And it’ll be a good thing for me. I guess I decided to put myself first for once and I’ve found what I want to do. It’s not what others had in mind for me but I put their feelings aside and took a risk. I’ve already registered and I’m excited to get my student finance sorted and choose the modules I want to do.
life is mine for the taking so why can’t I aim to have the career I want not the life my family have planned for me?
Good for you! Some families try to control their kids past adulthood. I don’t agree with that. I constantly watch my mother in-law lord over my sister in-law and I can only shake my head. The woman is in her thirties. I’m the only open minded and supportive person in her family. If you feel this is a step in the right direction, then go for it. Praying for your success!

Lux

boo
Admin
SF Supporter
I relate - I pissed off my whole family and became the black sheep who was a "career gal" because I chose uni over finding a partner, settling down, buying a house and having the kids (perfectly fine life if you want it, but it's a major nope for me).

Also should add that I then pissed them off further after that by choosing a degree they didn't agree with but made me happy and not what they wanted me to do when they finally accepted uni through gritted teeth (med school). You totally have to do you. Good luck gal :)

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Heya, totally do what YOU want over what anyone else wants you to do. You are in control and this course will help you majorly throughout your life and give you good chances of getting a god job that you like. 100 percent go for it. 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$255.00
Goal
$255.00