Feeling Overwhelmed

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Shiningdarkmoon, Dec 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Right now I am in my first year of graduate school and it is finals week and I am completely stressed out about it. There is a good chance that I am not going to do well on some of, if not all of my test and it is really upsetting me physically and emotionally. This is nothing new for me but this time around I feel much worse, plus I have this constant feeling that something awful is going to happen, and as a result I am left really emotionally crippled during one of the most important times of my life, and I have no idea how I am going to get through this?
  2. The_Discarded

The_Discarded Staff Alumni

Yeah... often, these are tough times for people. I hope you'll do better than you're predicting. Good luck!

Try not to get too stressed out; that can dampen a person's performance (mind you, a little nervousness can be a good thing). If you can, whenever your head isn't in the books, exercise! That may help with some of the nerves. Be particularly healthy (eating, sleeping, etc.). A lot of times, when things are emotionally stressful, physical stress only serves to expedite it. So minimize physical stress by treating your body as kindly as is possible; that way, you're not tackling two annoyances at once and piling on the tension.

Other than that, the most I can say is study well and just hold out until it's over! :hug:

As for the constant feeling that something bad is going to happen... has this been going on for a while? do you see a doctor or anything? Sounds like hell. Anxiety's a bitch.

Sorry you're feeling overwhelmed. If you need to get anything off your chest on your way through these hurdles, you can PM me and I'll listen :arms:
  3. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Various stressors create an environment which bring on some of our worst feeings...have you spoken to anyone recently to gain guidance and support for how you are feeling? Graduate school is very competitive and can be overwhelming...I have been there and know (I am an adjunct at an Ivy school and know the pressure the Masters level and Doctoral level candidates put themselves under)...please take each task as it comes...review articles on time and stress management to see if there are any suggestions which may be helpful to you...all the best, J
  4. I got through most of my test o.k. i think, but tomrrow is the last one and it is one I need to do well on, but I don't think it I will and the pressure is really driving me crazy.
  5. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

hope your test went well...big hugs, J
  6. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

:hug: I hope the test went well.
  7. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Well I have a different take, or strategy than the rest and that is to stand back and put this in perspective. You're young, it's a critical time academically yes but when you weigh "rewards versus effort" I seriously suggest you try a fuck it attitude. See, you do what you can and the rest, piss on it.

Anything that would lead you to trouble to sign up and join a Suicide Forum is not worth this scope and breadth of distress which can be deliterious both in the short and long runs depending on the individual.

All right? Darkmoon you take care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.