Feeling unwanted

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Fraa Erasmas, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fraa Erasmas

Fraa Erasmas Member

I grew up as a fundamentalist Christian, but I converted to Deism. I am a very strong supporter of my little-known faith, and always willing to stand up for it. I even got a job writing articles about it.

The problem is, I feel like my Christian family and friends, who I love very much, regardless of religion, look down on me. My girlfriend's mom said she cries when she thinks about my beliefs... It really hurts, and I don't know what to do. :'(

They belittle me and put me down. I am just as much of an individual human being as any Christian or Atheist or what have you, and I expect to be treated as such. My girlfriend has always been here for me, but when I talked to her about this, the message I received (we were on facebook) was:
    Like I am just supposed to accept it? I am supposed to be the one "understanding"? Hm... :'(
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2011
  2. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

OK well.....what you got from your girlfriend over facebook was.....I probly shouldn't say. Knowing me it'd come across as offensive :mellow:.

We are in fact all minorities. In our own little ways.

I'm doubting whether you should stay with this person. She doesn't seem to care about her really...rediculous reactions of her relatives about your beliefs.

Like excuse me? Did her mother want her to marry some good redneck christian boy or something? The old bag needs to get over herself :rolleyes:.

You should question them about there hesitations in regards to your religion. Ignorant people can default to the common emotions when confronted by something new or foreign(anger, belittleing, etc). I wouldn't be surprised if they're actually INTIMIDATED by you....

What is Deism?(sorry, I've seen it mentioned before, just unaware of what it means :unsure:)
  3. Fraa Erasmas

Fraa Erasmas Member

Thank you for replying.

What I said was that the individual is the smallest minority, and in that regard, even a Christian is the same minority as I am. There are no group majorities or minorities. There are only individuals who follow either prevalent or non-prevalent patterns.

As for my girlfriend, I love her more than anything in the world. She has ALWAYS been here for me. This is the first time I have ever been truly hurt because of her. I can't leave her...

And as for her mom, I agree with you. See, her parents are EXTREMELY Christian. They both come from extremely Christian families. Her mom works at a local Christian university, and her Dad is a politician.

I have talked to them about it, but they seem to think that I am just plain wrong regardless of anything I have to say, and therefore doomed to Hell.

Deism is...
    Not sure if it okay to post that link here; I don't know the courtesy rules on these message boards. Sorry if I did something wrong.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.