Female condoms with "teeth" to fight rape

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Prinnctopher's Belt, Jun 21, 2010.

?

Do you think this will be effective in deterring rape?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    34.2%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Unsure

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

(CNN) -- South African Dr. Sonnet Ehlers was on call one night four decades ago when a devastated rape victim walked in. Her eyes were lifeless; she was like a breathing corpse.

"She looked at me and said, 'If only I had teeth down there,'" recalled Ehlers, who was a 20-year-old medical researcher at the time. "I promised her I'd do something to help people like her one day."

Forty years later, Rape-aXe was born.

Ehlers is distributing the female condoms in the various South African cities where the World Cup soccer games are taking place.

The woman inserts the latex condom like a tampon. Jagged rows of teeth-like hooks line its inside and attach on a man's penis during penetration, Ehlers said.

Once it lodges, only a doctor can remove it -- a procedure Ehlers hopes will be done with authorities on standby to make an arrest.

"It hurts, he cannot pee and walk when it's on," she said. "If he tries to remove it, it will clasp even tighter... however, it doesn't break the skin, and there's no danger of fluid exposure."

Ehlers said she sold her house and car to launch the project, and she planned to distribute 30,000 free devices under supervision during the World Cup period.

"I consulted engineers, gynecologists and psychologists to help in the design and make sure it was safe," she said.

After the trial period, they'll be available for about $2 a piece. She hopes the women will report back to her.

"The ideal situation would be for a woman to wear this when she's going out on some kind of blind date ... or to an area she's not comfortable with," she said.

The mother of two daughters said she visited prisons and talked to convicted rapists to find out whether such a device would have made them rethink their actions.

Some said it would have, Ehlers said.

Critics say the female condom is not a long-term solution and makes women vulnerable to more violence from men trapped by the device.

It's also a form of "enslavement," said Victoria Kajja, a fellow for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in the east African country of Uganda. "The fears surrounding the victim, the act of wearing the condom in anticipation of being assaulted all represent enslavement that no woman should be subjected to."

Kajja said the device constantly reminds women of their vulnerability.

"It not only presents the victim with a false sense of security, but psychological trauma," she added. "It also does not help with the psychological problems that manifest after assaults."

However, its one advantage is it allows justice to be served, she said.

Various rights organizations that work in South Africa declined to comment, including Human Rights Watch and Care International.

South Africa has one of the highest rape rates in the world, Human Rights Watch says on its website. A 2009 report by the nation's Medical Research Council found that 28 percent of men surveyed had raped a woman or girl, with one in 20 saying they had raped in the past year, according to Human Rights Watch.

In most African countries, rape convictions are not common. Affected women don't get immediate access to medical care, and DNA tests to provide evidence are unaffordable.

"Women and girls who experience these violations are denied justice, factors that contribute to the normalization of rape and violence in South African society," Human Rights Watch says.

Women take drastic measures to prevent rape in South Africa, Ehlers said, with some wearing extra tight biker shorts and others inserting razor blades wrapped in sponges in their private parts.

Critics have accused her of developing a medieval device to fight rape.

"Yes, my device may be a medieval, but it's for a medieval deed that has been around for decades," she said. "I believe something's got to be done ... and this will make some men rethink before they assault a woman."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/africa/06/20/south.africa.female.condom/index.html

2. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

They seem like a ridiculous idea to be honest, 30,000 distributed in a country where by your own figures nearly a third of men are rapists is hardly likely to be a deterrent.

That and the fact that the rapist is then more likely to kill or seriously injure whoever has just hurt them.

3. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

not sure its a good idea...but rapists deserve pain ad I guess that way we would know who the rapists were and punish them accordingly...

the numbers of rape is horrible in south africa...there should be something else done in my opinion against that rise

4. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

Maybe carrying a weapon would be more effective than a penile clamp?

5. GabrielConroy

GabrielConroy Well-Known Member

not sure about effectiveness but it will definitely give me nightmares

was this inspired by the movie?

6. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Maybe, but he'll be arrested for murder when he shows up in an emergency room covered in DNA evidence...

Here's a question, though: what's stopping the rapist from checking for one of these and removing it?

7. empty101

empty101 Well-Known Member

This is a violent and disturbed weapon. To think that this will only be used to stop rape is pure stupidity. To think that just because someone shows up to a doctor with this means that they have raped someone is stupid. To think that men won't find a way around this is stupid. This is a bad solution to a very serious problem.

There has been a great deal of protest against this. For good reason.

8. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

My God - did they get this idea from the movie 'Teeth' cos it sounds kinda like that.

9. Young suicider

Young suicider Well-Known Member

Just wait till this happens...

Girl goes out and gets drunk takes a guy home and she forgets about it...

Great idea NOT!

Every guy will now have to check so they don't get clamped.

Why do they make these big stories?now a rapist will have a stick etc. And put it in to check....

Dumb ideas

10. kyle88

kyle88 Well-Known Member

lol wouldn't the rapist just check if this is there before commiting the crime, and remove it? I highly doubt they would just stick there you know what, you now where, before looking at where they were sticking it.

Also what about if the woman forgets she has it in there and has consensual sex with someone? would that be a form of assault on the man? Again highly unlikely because the dude would see the condom there in the first place and be like wtf?

11. Young suicider

Young suicider Well-Known Member

Yah it must have a string too.

So who's going to stick it with a string hanging out?

ANYONE?

12. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

http://inhabitat.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2010/06/rape-ax.jpg

Im not sure how far it goes in, if the lip sits on the outside of the vagina or not, but regardless of that, some rapists dont care, or have the crrent ability to think about checking their victim. . The only thing i can think of that's main stream knowledge that a women can have up her vagina are tampaxs.. Cant see a rapist caring if thats there or not. It's ususally a gross misuse of an urge that "Overwhelms" the senses and thought patterns of the abuser, so until it's mainstream knowledge, I cant see many people being aware of it. ( Though Ive read about this along time ago) I donno, Im neutral on it.

Anyhow, meh what can you do. If you use one be prepared to hit and kick the dude after it goes on or else he'll beat the shit out of the women so badly.

Good point suicider about misuse. I can see it now, disgruntled girl goes to her ex to "make up" but secretely has it in, he gets charged with rape ect...

Though....I wonder how the mechanics work? Does it grip the foreskin and contract as the penis shrinks(or hold the foreskin inplace)? Because..... itd have to or itd just fall off.

13. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

Lol that made me laugh XD.

Seems a bit strange. The rapist would just check and 'take it out' if they found one? And if the rapist actually went along, he'd probly go nuts if it clamped on or w/e. This was being introduced in South Africa if I remember from my crap memory? Anyway...(not to be offensive or anything) in africa alone, they cut limbs from albinos because some wackos think it helps with some mystical shit...imagine a rapist having something grab into his dick, he would be like a gorilla with her period lol :blink:.

I'm all for it if it would be used correctly. But there is a massive problem that 1) people could 'seek revenge' in a sorts, having sex with random people. "Oh look my dick just got deformed O.O" That wouldn't end all to well anyways and 2) they could just completely forget that they have one 'on' and they have regular sex, "oh woops, sorry hunny. Forgot I still had that on, too bad. Guess we can't have kids.".

All in all, I'd say it'd be a lot easier to just give them guns instead of penis claws.

14. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

Can't they put some sort of knockout drug in the barbs so the schmuck rapist will drop to the ground incapacitated/asleep and the victim can summon the police...or her male relatives with baseball bats? :boogie:

15. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Spiked Bats :D

16. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

This seems kind of crazy...
    I guess it would work if you were *expecting* to be raped; since you have to put it in beforehand.

Saw this on sxephil and was like; o__0 eh?!
    Might teach the rapist a lesson, but it would suck if both sides of teh sex were drunk/willing and the girl forgot it was in there... >< oh man!

...to me, this sounds like it's going to cause alot of unintended injuries.

17. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Clamping down on a violent criminal's dick with a toothed condom...

Yeah, they totally won't just murder them.

18. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Assuming there's a successful coupling of the Rapex (brand name) and the rapist they're going to be in position to kill anyone for a few minutes at very least. The real problem is making sure they don't look first.

19. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

I can see this being used to get revenge in some cases. Crazy wife gets angry at her husband...
    Agree with previous posts as well... think it'll turn rapes into murders.

20. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

For certain areas of South Africa it could be good, I dont want to see them in Britain though because I know it will be abused.

I'd hate to have to be one of the blokes who tested this out in the lab...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.