Few questions

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Hurted, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

My schrink told me in friday that i will need anti - depresants...Does anyone know if anti depresants work for anxiety too? (panic attacks, OBD, social anxiety etc...)
    I heard that prozac is good for all of above... is it true?

2. BOLIAO

BOLIAO Guest

yes. certain anti-depressants have anti-anxiety effects.

3. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

Anti Depressants have never really helped me with anxiety.

I think its a ploy.

The drug companies found a way to get the FDA to approve them for anxiety as well meaning that they could increase their profits as they can now be used to treat anxiety.

But in reality, I dont think they do anything for anxiety. Very Very Very little if anything.

I have been on a load of anti Ds and I still cant leave my house.

4. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Thanks...
    One more thing...
    Does anyone know in how many procents in teenagers (im 16) anti-depressants work? And how long they need to start working? One month? Thx for answers...:)

5. nedflanders

nedflanders Well-Known Member

In general, antidepressants aren't terribly effective drugs. If you try several, and add talk therapy into the mix, about 70% of depressed patients are helped significantly. Drop talking, and that number goes down to the 60% range. And talking alone, with placebos instead of antidepressants, is also in the 60% range.

Unfortunately, it's hard to predict which antidepressant, if any, will work for any particular patient. And you generally need about a month's use to see if any particular drug is going to work at all.

Wish I could be more encouraging.

6. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

I hope that they will work... i will probaly start to take them next month...