Fighting Off Triggers (caution may trigger)

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Godsdrummer, Apr 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

My triggers, that is to say, the things that send me down deeper into my depression and put back on the suicidal path are terrible demons.

Bad News
    Financial Stress (mainly with my car and the finance company)
    Projections-This is a huge demon for me. I tend to be a negative thinking person. Why not? I have had so much crap thrown at me all my life. So I tend to look at a situation and think the worse. For example, this Friday and Saturday, it's supposed to be around 80 degrees. Most people would go woohoo!!!! My mind says, live in a 3rd floor apartment with no air. It's going to be hot as blazes. How am I going to live thru that, I think. Keeping with this thought process, I grew up without Air conditioning, I should be able to handle this.

But my mind is ill. I suffer from a deep manic depression.

So the reason I referred to my triggers as demons, is that for most people, those types of stresses are manageable. For me...not so much.

And there in lies the struggle.

The constant struggle is to control and manage those triggers.

And that aint easy.

Some days, most days, it feels like I am on a high wire balancing 5000 feet in the air with no net. And sometimes I get a gust of wind!

Don't know why, exactly, just thought I would share that with the class.
  2. Daisy

Daisy Active Member

Have you tried any breathing or grounding exercises? I have found that they can be very helpful when I'm trying to deal with stress and triggers. :)
  3. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

I am giving in to my triggers now.
  4. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

It's good that you're aware of what triggers you, so you can sometimes pinpoint why you might suddenly feel down. But you don't have to give in to them. You've fought a lot of demons to get to where you're at now, but I think you're strong enough to keep on fighting.

It might help to talk things out with people, either on here or to people you know in person. Getting things out, just hearing someone else's opinion, might help to ground you so that you can face those triggers and try to rationalize your way through them.
  5. anhedonia

anhedonia Member

Like you fps I always feel like I'm on this really high wire too, except, I'm in the dark, I can't see the wire, and I have no way to anticipate when the next gust of wind will come.

Sure, after so many years I know some of what the triggers are. But doesn't really stop me from giving in to them far too frequently though. That's why I wonder whether it's worth trying to fight it sometimes, cos it's so random anyway. :sad:
  6. anhedonia

anhedonia Member

I hope you're in a slightly better place now. sigh
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.