Film Layout

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by BlackPegasus, Feb 8, 2008.

?

Best film layout?

1. Telling own story with flashbacks

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  2. Someone else telling story of another

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. As it happens

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  4. Diary form with voice over and cutting to significant events

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackPegasus

BlackPegasus Well-Known Member

I wanted everyone's views on this..if there were to be a movie about someone who is suicidal in what way would you prefer the movie to be presented in order to feel the most moved. Keep in mind it would have a happy ending meaning the main character would survive and find happiness/purpose.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2008
  2. BlackPegasus

BlackPegasus Well-Known Member

Hmmm! seems fairly divided. Any input on what you'd like to see. Anything about feeling suicidal you'd like the world to understand?

3. wanttodie

wanttodie Well-Known Member

I would not want anyone to tell my story because I personally do not think I have anyone like that in my life. I would vote for "telling the story through flashbacks". The film would start with me in the present and then a flashback to my childhood tracing all the events right from the start which are responsible for my condition today. I would want my movie to end in my suicide though.

4. Had to think a bit on that...(interesting question BP)

I think that the diary format might be more effective in that those watching would hear my actual voice and thoughts, and could more easily relate, and perhaps even understand (at least a little). One of the things that used to drive me up the wall (and into even further despair) - without fail - was hearing "Platitudes" from people, who surely only meant well - but had NOT A BLESSED CLUE as to how I was truly feeling. It was also discouraging not to be able to find too many who would visit and really listen to my descriptions of the darkness that had fully enveloped me (generally, as a society we hate 'negative' stuff - even though we're often GLUED to The News - go figure...) And when you're that deep down, you literally beg for someone to be able to comprehend your personal pain, OR at the very least, acknowledge the full and devastatingly bitter reality of it.

Yeah - I'd LOVE to tell them that way...

I'd also add some of my poetry...

5. Bigman2232

Bigman2232 Well-Known Member

Why does it have to have a happy ending? If they were really going to make a movie about suicide, how bout making one that applies to the real world, where the person really dies.

In real life very few people end with a happy ending and to keep making movies where everything is perfect in the end is to do the people who suffer through suicidal feelings an injustice.

6. pit

pit Well-Known Member

Suicide is presented too neatly in movies. A character runs the gamut of emotions simply from A to B. He/She is in a traumatic situation that triggers suicidal feelings, gets institutionalized or goes to a therapist, starts feeling fine or is determined to kill themselves, then BAM! the character is dead.

I would show how difficult it is to kill yourself. The desperate suicidal gestures -- shallow cuts on the wrist, not enough pills to swallow, a hanging that results in a neck burn, blurred vision, and a headache. I would show the results of a fall from a height not quite high enough, or the shotgun blast that left a person not quite dead. Persons who have been sentenced to life in limbo due to their self-destructive impulses need to tell their stories.

7. Right U R Ken

Right U R Ken Well-Known Member

It's not on the list but I wold pick "As it happens with voice over narration"

Narration to reveal what's going on in our mind. Especially with things people see every day but don't associate with death. "That tall building or beautiful bridge, is it high enough to jump from?" "Should I step in front of that speeding car or truck?" And other thoughts such as the envy of seeing happy people, happy couples, etc...

A film about suicide needs to reveal the deep personal feelings and thoughts of the person in pain. So first person voice over narration would be the way to go.

Is this a film you're thinking of doing yourself BlackPegasus? I've been interested in filmmaking for quite some time. The technology exists now where you could do this yourself for not alot of money. Here's a goood site with a lot of info- http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/

I lot of people there are pros so don't let the some of the technical talk scare you off. They'll answer questions from amatuers.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2008
  8. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

more important is the story itself. how does the story lend itself to the telling. flash backs may be excellent if the story were to show memories of the person: moments from the past that could tell us just a little of what happened. maybe, just never enough to really understand. hopefully, strong enough for you to feel for it.

the narrator could be the dead one, or it could be anyone. again, how do you want the story told? should it be the person that killed themselves explaining the pain, showing what life was to them? That could work too, the distorted view of a suffering person that the world is out to "get." A friend or family member so unsure of what really was happening just imagining how it could have gone so badly.

as it is happening could be interesting as well, maybe it could let people understand how these feelings appear, sometimes seemingly out of nowhere and just gain in strength. how isolating and debilitating thoughts can be.

The diary might work nicely to see some of the interpretations of events, how they can be seen in a few different ways. one word, the tone of voice, anything can change the meaning to someone. would the voice over be the dead person's voice? would it be a friend or a loved one? perhaps somone just reading the diary with no connection? how might these different perspectives effect/affect the story?

a good story should evoke strong emotions and the format is key to this, but not separate from the story itself.

Practically it maybe different once the project has begun and it takes on a life of its own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.