Finally asked for help - but 12 month waiting list

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by war and peace, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. war and peace

war and peace New Member

Hi.
    Thank you for providing this forum, and I'm writing today in the hope that someone might be able to advise me regarding my next step.

I'll not burden your forum with my problems, but instead try and keep to the point.

I'm in my 40's, and for as long as I can remember, I've needed help, but have never asked for it.

I eventually built the courage up to talk to my doctor a few years ago, and was basically told to toughen up and not talk daft.

Recently, I decided to ask for help again, and this time I demanded that he took me seriously. So, I was referred to a Psychological Therapy service, who gladly added me to their waiting list. Months past, and still nothing.

Meanwhile, my life has been self destructing, and there is little I can do.

I went to a different doctor yesterday, and he put me in touch with a 'crisis ' team at the local hospital. We chatted for about an hour and I'll admit for the first time I felt I was finally in a place that wanted to help.

The disappointing thing is that they now want to feed me with antidepressants, and the earliest a Psychological expert can see me will be 12 months.

A Psychiatrist has been booked for a weeks time, who I think is going to decide which drugs to give me, and I'm concerned about taking more drugs than I already am.

The lady who spoke to me offered to come and see me at my home, which I gratefully accepted, but still, I'm left with the situation of the long waiting list before anyone will begiun to try and get to the root of the problem.

My depression is a bi-product of many other factors during my life, so I'm not too excited about antidepressants.

I had a series of back operations, and already take quite a few tablets each day to disguise the pain of sciatica.

Is there somewhere I can go to where I can actually delve into my past, discover the reasons for my pain, and address it, without waiting on a never ending list?

I've attempted to take my own life in the past, and currently go through the same feelings on average twice per week when at a low spell.
    I'm not a coward, and my problem is not one of guilt, but psychological. I'm a very strong person mentally, and physically, but I can't fight this fight anymore.
    The chances of me being able to deal with my demons for another 12 months are very slim indeed. Until I spoke to the lady, I'd have given myself a matter of hours.

Any advice would be helpful.

I have to see my own doctor again this morning. I'll pop in later to see if anyone has replied, but regardless of help, I hope each of you find happiness in your lives once more.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

Please keep coming back here each day to help you get through this. You may want to start a diary. It's wonderful the woman will come to your home. It may be something that can be done more than once.

I take medication for depression on top of all the meds I take for other conditions. It doesn't take away depression, but it makes my episode last for a much shorter period of time and they are not so deep.

Keep checking with the service provider because waiting lists change all the time. You may find a projected 12 month wait to be only 10 months or you may be able to get in for a medication appointment if someone has canceled an appointment.

I hope you get to feeling better. :hug:

3. GA_lost

GA_lost Well-Known Member

Some specific advice maybe be given if you let us know where you live IE country and or state. I agree with Chargette please keep in touch. Writing about what is going on could help.

4. thisistheend

thisistheend Member

you are not alone

5. LightInTheDarkestNight

LightInTheDarkestNight Well-Known Member

Goodluck with your treatment, that sounds like a really long wait, for the psychologist that is. Personally I'm not a huge fan of meds and in my opinoni thats pretty much all what pyschaitrists do they just dispense meds, especially if like you say you life issues stem from circumstances or other issues you're having, and aren't nessicarly a chemical imbalance.

With that said it's worht a shot they very well may make things go smoother in you life and you be able to cope easier. Often times people with HIV are given anti depressants because HIV alone can give someone malaise or a general feeling of discomfort on top of the other symptoms.

I understand how ones pain can stem from physical issues, when you feel so bad physically it takes alot to get through each day and cope, and even little things that you'd normally brush of your shoulder really take their toll on you. People will after say you know depression can cause some of those symptoms but at the same time if you feel horrible physically that can cause depression you know sort of like what came first the chicken or the egg.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.