Finally going to see a counselor, what can I expect.

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by HomerSimpson, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HomerSimpson

HomerSimpson Well-Known Member

After years of being suicidal and depressed I am going to see a counselor this week. I am nervous and scared, and to be honest I am already trying to talk myself out of going. What can I expect and what should I do if I do find the courage to follow through and go. Should I just be completely open and tell her how bad I feel, or should I keep some things to myself.

The way my luck is I will end up going after all of these years, and the person I see will not be the right one for me.

2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Hey that's great that you are taking this step :)

First of all, if they're not right for you, don't panic. There are plenty of counselors out there and there will be one you can open up to.

Just tell them whatever you're comfortable with on the first time. It doesn't have to be everything all at once, although it can be if you really need to get it out. Either way, you won't be judged. It's all about YOU, so you decide how much you want to share and when.

Best of luck. Counseling has helped me and I hope it helps you too :hug:

3. Mightbehere

Mightbehere Well-Known Member

That's great to hear and I hope it all works out for you. There are many councilors around. What to expect, well a Councilor as I understand it is an independent person who you can talk to about your problems. So I guess you'll be doing just that.

4. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I would say to be pretty much honest. At your first appt. they're going to ask you a lot of background questions, so be patient. Depending on where you live and what the laws are, be careful what you say about suicide, if you say anything at all. In the United States, if you tell them you are going to kill yourself the minute you walk out the office, they'll send you to a pshchiatric hospital for observation.

Good luck and keep us posted.

5. HomerSimpson

What happens if you do tell them you want to die, but are not planning on suicide. They want put you in a pshchiatric hospital just for that will they? I am just nevous and worried.

6. shades

shades Staff Alumni

With about 15 different ones (yeah, I've actually seen at least 20 over the years), they've all asked if I had considered suicide. When I said yes, they followed by asking if I ever thought of a method. When I answered yes to that, they always asked if I was going to, or felt like killing myself that day or any time soon. When I said NO to that, they dropped it and went on to other things.

I think you're o.k. with saying you've considered it...I think they kind of expect it. Maybe at first you shouldn't even tell them of any methods, just to be sure. Like I said, it all depends on what the laws are where you live.

7. BriGuy

BriGuy Antiquities Friend

I too just got my referral for my first... well first in like 20 years... and first since I became suicidal... and I am terrified! I am worried about telling them things and I am worried about the financial aspect because my co-pay is way too high... so as much as I really want to talk to someone, part of me is afraid to talk to someone, and part of me is afraid I won't be able to do this, because of the cost! Not to mention the place is NOT going to be easy for me to GET to.

And I was wondering the same thing about what to say, so thanks for the comments shades. I'll be sure to be very careful when discussing my suicidal feelings, and won't mention that I have a method or that I am thinking seriously about it. It will be interesting to see when they can get me an appointment too... how long it will take. Ugh... not looking forward to this! Especially because I am afraid I won't like the person they send me to! And because of the cost, and probably limits on number of visits, I can't just keep bouncing around trying out one person after another. But I am hoping they can offer better advice on anti-deps, because my primary care doctor seems to have given up because I keep having reactions to all the ones we tried, or they just don't work. So it would be nice to get someone who KNOWS the pills better to maybe find something that WILL work and won't screw me up with this nasty side effect that I keep experiencing!

8. HomerSimpson

I am like you. The cost is the biggest problem I have always had. I have no insurance, and just go to school full time. Try to find a place that has a subsidized fee scale where if you have no insurance than they charge you 1 dollar for every thousand dollars you make. It sucks doenst it when you need help if you do not have the money to pay for it than you are basically screwed. A lot of places have the slogan "We want to help". It should be "We want to help, only if you have money".

9. BriGuy

BriGuy Antiquities Friend

Actually there is a place here at the university that offers help to those without insurance, and they "say" they won't turn ANYONE away for not being able to pay, and they say they offer low payments, like $5 or $10 per visit. The problem is I DO have insurance... and if you have insurance, they can't help me. But maybe you should check with your local colleges and universities... they might have something similar!

My insurance offers ONE location only that I can go to, it is NOT convenient for me at all (and I can't drive anymore) and the co-pays are expensive for me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.