Finding a Decent Hospital

Is there a good psychiatric hospital in the Dallas area---or anywhere, for that matter. I cannot afford private care, so I must have one that will take insurance.

I have been in several hospitals after suicide attempts. I am an older adult and am just weary, weary of fighting this. Mental (depression and bi-polar) illness runs in both sides of my family, and mine began in second grade. I'd just like a safe place to keep me from harming my self right now. Next time I will not "attempt"; I will do it. But I have grandchildren to consider, and that is a terrible legacy to leave them.

I'd like a hospital that doesn't have an emphasis on drug abuse, as that is not my problem, and the drug treatment aspects tend to overwhelm the activities and counselors. the choice of group counselors. The last hospital I was in (Timberlawn, so bad it is now closed by the state) had males and females rooming in the same ward, which frightened me (for good reason--I was approached and pressure by a male patient).

Any help appreciated.

Were all together

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Is there a good psychiatric hospital in the Dallas area---or anywhere, for that matter. I cannot afford private care, so I must have one that will take insurance.

I have been in several hospitals after suicide attempts. I am an older adult and am just weary, weary of fighting this. Mental (depression and bi-polar) illness runs in both sides of my family, and mine began in second grade. I'd just like a safe place to keep me from harming my self right now. Next time I will not "attempt"; I will do it. But I have grandchildren to consider, and that is a terrible legacy to leave them.

I'd like a hospital that doesn't have an emphasis on drug abuse, as that is not my problem, and the drug treatment aspects tend to overwhelm the activities and counselors. the choice of group counselors. The last hospital I was in (Timberlawn, so bad it is now closed by the state) had males and females rooming in the same ward, which frightened me (for good reason--I was approached and pressure by a male patient).

Any help appreciated.
Hello Kate,
I'm not sure what type of insurance you have. But, there are multiple hospitals around Dallas. One of them:
Zale Lipshy University Hospital
5151 Harry Hines Blvd
Dallas, Texas 75390
214-645-5555
Has a high rating for psychiatry. Again, you would have to check to see if they take your insurance. Hope this helps.

Is there a good psychiatric hospital in the Dallas area---or anywhere, for that matter. I cannot afford private care, so I must have one that will take insurance
If you call 211 or visit 211.org, they should be able to give a listing of hospitals that take your insurance.

They may not be able to tell you which ones are "good" though.

If you have a list though, we could try to help you research them.

Yew, my insurer does list several mental hospitals. II have looked at all of them online when I am desperate for help, which is every month or two. (When I am in the black hole, I have an obsession that I've got to do something, which in fact is really dangerous, because the something can be suicide. But I'd rather provide a hospital as an optional "something" to do.)

I am really looking for someone with personal experience in any of the psychiatric hospitals in Dallas. (I have been to three that I remember, one of them twice.)

I have considered Zale Lipshy, which would be my first choice, but my insurance does not cover it.

You might want to start another thread with a title like "Dallas Hospitals?"...it might catch the attention of someone with Dallas-specific info better.

@Were all together in principle might be able to ask his friend in Zale Lipshy about other hospitals in Dallas

Sorry that you've been feeling so bad for so long. I hope that something can help.

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
It seems to me that instead of looking at an international forum of people for hospitals that it would be more beneficial to look closer to home. A psych group for TX Facebook users, perhaps, or local group therapy person who could point you towards something. An actual person who could nudge you one direction or another. Shooting an arrow through 40,000 people from all over the world isn't going to be as clear as aiming much closer to home, you know? What about calling mental health places in your city, groups, etc and seeing what they have to recommend?

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00