Finding a Job

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Bigman2232, Aug 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bigman2232

Bigman2232 Well-Known Member

I've been unemployed for nearly a year now. Before that I worked for 3 months only and before that I was unemployed for nearly a year.

Ever since I graduated from University I can't find work. I got work during the summer because I was able to apply to several jobs that only took students because they were compensated by the government for doing so. I got brief work on solar farms because my family are electricians and that's who was building them.

I've applied and interviewed for a furniture warehouse, I've applied for internships and volunteer work, but I get nothing.

I applied to be an apprentice and was not accepted. A true failure considering my entire family is already in it.

I just can't find jobs that I can do. I'm always lacking some certification (which is great considering what the fuck did I get a degree for, if they didn't give me any of the shit I actually need?) or I'm just not close enough to them.

It also doesn't help that I just can't stand people anymore and my depression and anger are something I worry about.

My references are so old that I'm not even sure if they are right and I don't have any new ones because I haven't had a job or done anything in so long.

I'm not happy. I've jumped through so many fucking hoops already and gotten absolutely nothing in return that something in me has snapped, and just going with things that I know are wrong has become impossible.

This is why I want to die. I'm always going to be alone and I have no chance at getting a life that is even remotely pleasant.
  2. Bigman2232

Then I look and find perfect sounding interships. Chances to gain valuable experience and maybe find the happiness I once had when it came to working with animals.

But I can't do any of them because they are all far away, unpaid and require 30-40 hours a week. And of course, housing and living expenses are all the interns responsibility.

Gotta love our fucking society where the people who can already do whatever they want because they have the money, are the only ones that can do the things the poor need the most.
  3. sadhart

sadhart Well-Known Member

I'm sorry about your hardship in looking for a job. I can relate as I'm struggling to look for work. I hope things turn around for you soon though. Please hang in there a little longer.
  4. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

Have you considered branching out a bit? I had a lot of trouble for 2 years or so and then I managed to get an interview for a sales position. It's the only thing that makes my life worth living at this point. You never know - perhaps you could end up with enough money to make it through an internship.

I know things suck right now but just hang in there and don't get dejected.
  5. synchrohobbit

synchrohobbit Active Member

I am new here, and one of the main reasons I have joined is because I am so anxious about the future. I am about to finish a master's degree (in something I am really not interested in) and am having trouble finding a job. There is always someone else with more experience or a PhD. I think the scariest part is that I have over $50,000 in college debt, so if I get a job that doesn't pay enough I will be in deep shit. Not having a fulfilling job is super difficult, especially with a predisposition to depression.
  6. pppqp

pppqp Well-Known Member

bigman, hi
    have you ever read any job interview guides? you can easily find them online.
    to me, job interview is not different from acting. you just have to know how to make them believe
    feel free to pm me

hugz :hug:
  7. Bigman2232

I`ve never had an issue with the interviews. I`ve been told I`m memorable and pleasant.

The issue is that your basic retail jobs or ones like them won`t hire me because they see my education and know that I`m not aiming to become a manager or stay with the place long term. Even if I make the point that I'm going to be staying in my city for at least a few years.

Not that interviewing really matters. All I've learned from looking for work is that who you are and what you are capable of mean absolutely jack shit. All that matters is who you know. And my family is struggling, so I will be struggling.

Even when they do try to help I get the speech of "don't be negative and try to be happy". Because that's all I am to them. The pissed off, lazy asshole.

I'm done looking. I'm spending my time figuring out how to exit instead. Even if I had a job, it's not going to change the fact that I'm broken and it's not going to be fixed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.