Finding a psychiatrist?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by sc01706, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sc01706

sc01706 Active Member

How does one go about finding a psychiatrist? I'm not sure where to look. I work Monday through Friday, so how does one make appointments? I can't keep taking off work to visit a doctor. The depression is really effecting my physical health. Over a course of about 3-4 years, I gained 150 pounds. I sleep about 10-12 hours a day, however, I only sleep about 2 hours at a time, wake up, fall back asleep and after about 10-12 hours of this cycle, I still feel tired. I really believe my issues are mental and not physical. Also, does most medical insurance cover psychiatrist? I cannot afford it otherwise.
  2. flowers

flowers Senior Member

Can you go to your doctor and ask that your thyroid be checked? Ask your doctor to check all levels. T1 T2 T3 and T4. What you are describing can be classic for underactive (hypo) thyroid. Depression, weight gain, sleeping a lot. Classic. Not saying this is the problem. But I sure would have it checked out if I were you. If you do have underactive (hypo) thyroid, i would suggest asking for bio-identical thyroid treatment. The most popular one is called Armor thyroid. I also want to tell you that if you do have that, you are in good company. So many people do. Medicine will help you to feel much better.

In answer to a psychiatrist, yes your insurance should cover psychiatrist. I have never heard of an insurance that does not. Although a call to your company will help you to know how much coverage you have. And specifics re deductables and co-payments. Perhaps your physician would know of a psychiatrist she or he would suggest? You have the right to meet more than one before deciding. I hope you can find a psychiatrist to help you. Because you sure do deserve help.,

I hope this information helps. And I hope you feel better soon !!!!
  3. Wastingecho

Wastingecho Well-Known Member

my insurance would cover a specific number of visits per year for a relatively small copay

take your time, look for doctors that will see you in the evening - that will get you out of worrying about missing work for visits (assuming you're a day worker)

also keep in mind that a doc that was really good for one person might not be good for you - it may take a bit of trial and error before you find one you will be comfortable enough to work with
  4. sc01706

sc01706 Active Member

I usually work till 8. I know why I gained the weight. It's because I don't eat right and am not active. For instances I ate an entire pizza last night. I have no energy to cook or shop for food so I just eat take out. I don't have a doctor. I feel awkward just going to psychiatrist office and asking to be a new patient.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.