Finding it really hard to get up each morning. What motivates you to?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Shock, Aug 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shock

Shock Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I've been finding it really difficult to be motivated to do anything. I am wondering what helps people to get up in the morning? Do you have something you look forward to at some point in the day? What makes you get out of bed. I really need advice!

Thanks!

2. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Good question....I guess just the fact that today can be anything I want it to be, and I have the power to change the way my life is going. That pushes me enough to get up and face each day.

3. Ldub20

Ldub20 Well-Known Member

You really feel that you've got the power?

4. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

It seems that my depression just isn't at that point yet where I can't even function on a daily basis. I still get up and go to work and all and also managed to go to college with full-blown depression and suicidal thoughts. One reason is that if I failed in school or lose a job, my parents will be all over me, and I don't need that. So I just do the bare minimum to keep them happy and as away from me as possible.

But, I live life as a zombie, not really "living" it, not enjoying it. I am only surviving, not thriving like so many people are. I barely do anything in my life, my daily schedule has to be one of the most boring and emptiest around. Its probably just a tad above someone in a coma or vegatative state, no offense meant. My depression has been a large factor, if not the only factor in that. It has zapped me of so many things, taken so much away from me, any dreams, goals, ambitions, drive, desires, etc. I have nothing left in my life anymore. Now its just waiting to finally take the last thing I have, my very own life itself, and by suicide....eventually. :(

5. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

If for no other reason, I get out of bed to have my coffee. It doesn't matter what time of day or night. Sometimes after my coffee, I go right back to bed. I try to do some little thing each day to get myself moving around and sometimes that leads to being able to another thing. I keep a simple schedule, which includes attending a knit and crochet group with other women, which is helpful. I never know from day to day how well I will be.

6. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I often go through severe bouts of depression where I can stay in bed for days. But I find that setting myself small goals helps me to achieve something in my day. This may be getting out of bed and getting a shower, getting dressed, cooking lunch, sitting in the garden, baking,anything that stops me from lying in bed feeling sorry for myself. It's only small, but you have to achieve the small things before you can go onto the big things.

7. triedtoomanytimes

triedtoomanytimes Well-Known Member

What gets me out of bed? I suppose the biggest factor is shame, second is my dog, third is wanting a cigarette. The shame thing comes from the explanations I would have to give if I didn't turn up for work, and all that would happen if I lost my job.

8. Shock

Shock Well-Known Member

I wish I had that attitude! But what do you mean 'that the day an be anything I want it to be'. Don't you need to go to work?

9. Bigman2232

Bigman2232 Well-Known Member

Having to take a piss. Otherwise I sleep for as long as I can.

10. alwayshalfway

alwayshalfway Member

fear of not getting out of it

11. Jimbojak

Jimbojak Member

Depending on what day of the week it is there's a girl at work I like to talk to. She's way out of my league, but it gives me something to do, and even if it is pointless I have something to look forward to. On other day's it's the alarm clock and the dog. I enjoy studying as well so that gives me something to look forward to when I get home.

12. SaraRose

SaraRose Well-Known Member

I have no idea what does, something just forces me out of bed every morning. Though it's getting harder and harder to do.

13. JigsawJohn

JigsawJohn Well-Known Member

Although I don't get up until late afternoon, what usually gets me up is guilt of slleping too late, wanting a cigarette or some bodily needs I can't ignore. Or a weird dream or weird thoughts like an urge to drink milk or whatever...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.