Finding reason to go on when I see nothing worthwhile in the future

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by randomguy9, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. randomguy9

randomguy9 Put's the "Pro" in Profanity Chat Pro

Well... the present sucks, and the future looks to only get worse.

I have spent the last... will be 3 years at the end of the semester in college trying to figure out a career path. I got close... or so I thought. Now, it has become clear that that is not a good path for me... working in sales for years in hopes that I might get a promotion... no thanks... I am not good with people, and would probably get fired within 6 months... I am probably developing socialphobia as we speak.

anyway... it is back to what made me suicidal in the first place... not seeing anything worthwhile in my future. Working front line jobs would not fulfill me (no disrespect to anybody who does this, some people love it). I need something that pays well enough, and I enjoy enough... and at this point I wonder if I will ever find it.

I feel like an idiot with no talent... I am doing well in school, but that is only because I have no social life, and minimal hobbies to interfere with it... even so without a career path any GPA is completely useless.

So yea,... last 3 years of my life have been a complete waste and I have not accomplished a dang thing since graduating high school... All i see when i look ahead is a crappy job, with crappy pay, living a crappy life alone...
  2. carekitty

carekitty Guest

You need to give yourself more time. I know it feels like that you should already have a definite career path, and know what you will be doing with your life. But in reality, very few people do at your age.

Many people wind up in jobs or career paths they didn't even know existed. So, not something you can always plan on. I know of people who did not find their true vocational calling until they were in their 40's, 50's and beyond. And it's not always about the money. If you have a job you hate, you're spending at least 40 hours (usually more) a week miserable. Hopefully, you find something you enjoy doing.

And you may not have found someone right now, but that doesn't mean you won't. It is a big world out there, and there are a lot of people who are waiting to find someone they can be with.

Please give yourself more time. I have a friend who was miserable, and suicidal because he didn't feel like anything in his life was working out (he was 42). He went through a severe depression, but eventually, he started his own business. He loves the job, and makes very good money now. It would have been a terrible waste if he would have given up.
  3. randomguy9

most of the college students I have talked to have a career path figured out..

I thought taking a class owuld help me figure it out... suposed to be what it teaches is how to analyze your interests, values, ect... all that did was show that my chosen path is one that will more likly lead to failure then sucess.

Those examples... i know you tried to help, but waiting that long is not worth it. When i am 40, i want to be concered with my retirement accoutn, not startin a carreer that pays money...
  4. Milton

Milton Well-Known Member

Really? Most of the students I know, including me, are the total opposite, with almost no idea where they're going to end up. (When I say "really?" I'm not accusing you of lying, I just wonder how well-defined and realistic those career paths are; "I want to be an X" is really little better than "I have no idea what I want to be.").

You say both that you're doing well in school and that you've not accomplished anything. Most people would say those are mutually exclusive, though I expect it's hard to appreciate that when you're too busy worrying about the future. Maybe step back and take stock of what you have acheived instead of lumping it all under "nothing", you might be surprised by what you find.
  5. randomguy9

It would be an accomplishment if it was getting me somewhere. at this point, i have no life, no anything, and have had to quit working until the semester is over because of things. I am so damn stressed... it is a war to drag myself out of bed to even look at the books right now.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.