Fine line...

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by ~Claire, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

I finally made an appt to see my GP, these suicidal urges are just getting way out of hand & they are getting harder & harder to resist.

I want to be honest with him but I know the questions he will ask are going to be;

Do you feel like harming yourself?
    Do you have a plan to harm yourself?
    Have you the means to carry out your plan?
    Do you know when you will do this?

That's my dilemma. As much as I want to be honest with them I'm scared if I say too much I'll be sectioned.

Does anyone have any experience of this?
  2. SweetVitriol

SweetVitriol Antiquitie's Friend

Hi Claire..Yeah I went through a similar experience recently..

They rarely section people for having suicidal thoughts here in the UK (Although I am unsure of the situation in other countries)..What they usually do is offer psych assessments or anti-depressants..

If you truly do want help for your feelings then all I can suggest is to be honest..You seem to know the drill (Regarding the questions you are going to be asked) You have to balance your need for help against your fear of the consequences..

Truthfully, I find the forum more therapeutic than any meds I have been offered but that is for me and is not a general recommendation..
  3. ~Claire

Hi SweetVitriol,

I totally agree with you re the meds, sure they work for some but I don't feel they have been particularly beneficial to me.

I'd hate to think what you would actually have to do before you were sectioned in the UK. Many times I have been suicidal but as long as you say you don't have a specific plan or you do but you don't know when you'll try it then chances are you'll be allowed to go on your way.

I guess for me the fear is always there & more often than not that far outweighs everything else.
  4. kenny

kenny Well-Known Member

Hi Claire

I went through something similar. I'd been on the meds (citalopram 60mg) for a few months when things came to a head. I'd run out of meds and wanted to get a repeat prescription but they wouldn't give me one, and by sheer luck I was able to get an appointment with my doctor late on Hogmanay. By 8pm I was at the local A&E with instructions to speak to the On Call psychiatrist.
    I sat and talked for 2 hours. but I got sent home. she was thinking about admitting me, but not sectioning me. but in the end, she sent me home. Mental wards are not very nice places and most people are better off in a familiar environment, she said.

So unless its very extreme, its highly unlikely you'll be sectioned. its a last resort.

if you want to talk about it, am happy to listen.

take care
  5. TheWr0ngChild

TheWr0ngChild Well-Known Member

I don't mean to put you off but I'd be supprised if you'll really get much help. All they will do is write a prescription for anti depressants and tell you to go back in a certain amount of time. You are within your right to refuse this and request therapy first. Say your not sure why you feel this way but you would rather try taking to someone first before taking any drugs, as they do have side effects and nobody knows how they will effect them.

Be prepaired for a LONG wait, some waiting lists for therapy are up to 9 months long. This is the joy of "free" healthcare.

I've had experience of being pushed anti depressants for even physical issues such as pain. I would myself advise against them as a first line of action. Doctors in this country are paid big money by drug companies for dishing them out to anyone. They were not prepaired to give me any "addictive" pain meds yet were trying to push equaly addictive and dangerous "Anti Depressants" at me.

Be careful thats all I'm saying. If you don't like your doctor's oppinion you have every right to request another doctor's oppinion. Make sure you research any meds, ask other people about them, read as much as you can about them on the internet and in books. Don't feel pushed into anything your not 100% sure about. Nobody can make you take any medication unless your sectioned, and to be sectioned in the UK 2 doctors must agree you are a grave risk to yourself (activly suicidal, servere self harm, repeated attempts etc) or a threat to others.

Hope I helped.
  6. ~Claire

Thanks Kenny,

I know it's extremely unlikely to be sectioned unless I actually threaten it there & then & trust me that is sooo not an option lol.

Wow though what a way to spend your Hogmany.

How are you doing yourself? Are you still on the meds?

Take care & keep safe xx
  7. ~Claire

Hi Tin Woman,

Don't worry you haven't put me off. If I'm being honest I know he will just give me a prescription & tell me to come back in 2 weeks. I think my doc is of the opinion that if he only gives me my meds weekly & that I see him &/or the cpn regularly then I will be fine.

I'm not keen on meds myself. I'm already in therapy & whilst I was on the waiting list they were forever trying to give me meds. It was a battle of wills between us & I have tried quite a few over time without success really. I've tried them though & I am on Lofepramine just now so at least I can say to him I am trying.

Thanks for your help xx
  8. abyss

abyss Well-Known Member

since the docs can only work with what you give them, lacking the ability to read your mind, they can only treat you as well as you will let them. if you really want help and want the right meds for the right situation, i say upfront open honesty all the way.
  9. kenny

kenny Well-Known Member

Hi Claire

Yes I'm still on the meds. I've been through a rough patch over the last few months, but for the last few days I've been quite 'up' and I've achieved a number of things that needed doing around the house. I even managed to polish the car, which for me is virtually unheard of.

my sessions with the psychologist are tough but they are helping I think

don't be scared to tell your GP, the more he or she knows, the more help you can get.

take care

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.