"Finland no longer suicide capital of the world"

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by silent_enigma, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silent_enigma

silent_enigma Well-Known Member

Here's the article.

I thought it was interesting, if you're into statistics and all that.

40% sounds like a decent drop.

And this I found interesting...
    Whereas I remember reading that in Japan it was the economic bust that sent their suicide rate flying upwards. :huh:
  2. Blackness

Blackness Guest

oh interesting. I wonder which has the highest now?
  3. stuck_in_limbo

stuck_in_limbo Active Member

First off, I thought it might have been due to the dark, cold and long winter, like it might be in the basement I'm writing in right now, but I guess not.

I can see how urban development can be upsetting. When it starts to get too crowded, you have the ironic situation of having more people moving all around you and feeling more lonely. Plus I'm sure plenty of citizens felt their standard of living was being compromised.

Maybe there's a reason they're called "Finnish"...
  4. silent_enigma

There seems to be other more subtle factors at work in suicide rates. Look up "suicide myths".

It would seem that a lot of assumptions I had were wrong. Most suicides happen in the spring and summer, not in the cold dark winter. And even economic boom and bust cycles aren't a reliable predictor, which shatters a long held assumption of mine. Altho I bet another great depression would do it. I bet you $5.
  5. Greenforest

Greenforest Well-Known Member

I'm from Finland. I think one reason to our (formerly) large suicide numbers is in our national mentality. In stereotypes we are silent, don't speak much and get depressed. Those don't of course fit everyone as there are very open, social and happy Finns too, but me it fits.

Finnish silence is more common. At least people from elsewhere, like turists, are sometimes offended because they think we don't like them because we don't want to speak to them, when it's only the way we are. We don't talk to people we don't know, crowded buses and trains are often silent like there was no one.
  6. silent_enigma

Sounds like I'd fit right in.
  7. haha wow... I'd probably fit into Finland too. I got the white skin blond hair and blue eyes too.

I think some people think I believe I'm 'better than everyone' just because I'm quiet and don't like to talk to random people.

I just have a very hard shell around me and don't let just anybody in.... lonely though :(

so what is the new suicide capital of the world?.. just did the research, in india
    the average suicide rate for women is as high as 148 per 100,000, and 58 per 100,000 for men
    Finland was 30/100,000 at it's prime

Guess that supports your urban development theory. India is such a crowded country.
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  8. jolie

jolie Member

It's funny about the urban development thing - that being in the midst of so many people you don't know makes you feel more alone. That's actually the opposite for me. I love being around people out in the streets and whatnot (not necessarily where I live at the moment though).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.