Fire

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by gentlelady, Mar 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

The Main Street in the town I grew up is currently on fire. It appears they will lose at least the entire block of historic buildings. In these times of economic depression this will be more than devastating for the town. Keep the business owners, people living in the apartments above the stores, etc in your thoughts. I pray that no one gets hurt in the process.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30669011@N02/3379193577/

2. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Boy thats awful..Did everyone get out o.k.?? Was it arson??We get fires alot here in Florida so I can only imagine what they are going thru..

3. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

It sounds as if all were evacuated in time. The fire was started accidentally by a welder in the basement. Unbeknownst to him, sparks ignited the ceiling and he left. It was spotted by a woman carrying some boxes out of the basement and she tried to put it out but couldn't. She called 911 and trucks were dispatched but the fire moved too quickly for containment. Fire departments from 3 towns, the furthest being 76 miles away came to help. It is still burning. Only one business remains standin on the entire block and they are uncertain if they can save it. In a city of this size, that block is approximately 1/3 of the downtown area. I am just sick with the loss. I am thankful that no injuries have been reported as the upstairs apartments were occupied by the elderly and disabled. Volunteers were able to get the people and majority of their belongings out befor the fire reached them. The Pharmacy on the corner which is the major supplier of prescription meds for the town and was also a gift shop and soda fountain was completely packed up and emptied in under an hour. Thanks to all the many vounteers that came to help. These buildings date back to the early 1920's. For a place that did not become a state until 1889, they were a major part of the town history. The important thing is no lives were lost. Lets hope it stays that way as the firefighters contine to battle the blaze in adverse weather conditions and high winds.

4. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

Hopefully when it's all over, there will be no casualties nor injuries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.