First day of work

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by sadhart, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sadhart

sadhart Well-Known Member

I started a new job today where we are helping remodel a store. There was a lot of heavy lifting. I pulled my weight as much as I could, but I always felt like it was never enough. I was so angry at myself and felt like everyone saw how weak I was.

Worse, during break, I had to use the restroom which was a public one. Someone was already in there and I think when he left, he broke the lock, because I couldn't get out the bathroom. The boss didn't blame me, but since I was the last person, I felt guilty. It also didn't help the last guy left an unholy smell in there, so I was stuck with that as well.

I know that doesn't sound like something to be worried or down about, but this is the first job I've gotten in a few months and I want to make a good impression. They may hire me for part time work afterwards, but if I'm showing weaknesses like my social awkwardness and not being strong, they may pass on me.

Sorry for rambling.

2. Wastingecho

Wastingecho Well-Known Member

first day at work always sucks

remember first day i started working on the highway department when i was a teen

got all the crap jobs which everyone told me i didn't do well enough

and no one trusted me because they thought i was related to the department superintendent

we all figured it out and i kept working there for a couple of years

i know that you want to make a good impression so i'll tell you what i did

keep pitching in as best you can

recognize when you are trying to do too much and back off a little

don't try to 'compete' with the others just keep things steady and stay focused on what you can do

your boss sounds like an understanding guy so if you just work hard and keep contributing i think you'll be ok

3. rv498

rv498 Well-Known Member

I've worked from age 14 to 38. Now I'm back to college and will try to be in school until I'm 80. Why? Cuz I hate corporate America. I've seen it all, cheating, backstabbing, betraying, racism, I guess I've had only bad lucks. Oh well. What can u do?

4. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

I always used to think first impressions for what mattered but it's not. I've had many days at work where I've made (or I think I made) a fool of myself, and I've gone home worried and upset. But the next day it's been forgotten by everyone but me and I should imagine it'll be the same for you. All you can do is do your best and be polite.

5. lachrymose27

lachrymose27 Well-Known Member

Stay strong :)

6. perry_mason

perry_mason Well-Known Member

jus t remember first days always suck. i know it s worse if you have anxiety or other social issues etc but after the first one it always gets better.

7. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

Pro tip: in construction/renovation type work (actually most any job of any kind), you are automatically a better employee than half the other coworkers if you arrive to work on time, sober, dressed appropriately for the job, and listen to instructions when you're there. No manager expects an employee to lift more than they are able or perform tasks they don't know how to do without training.

Don't worry about your coworker's opinion of you. The only one who matters is your manager. It'll be okay. You just hang in there and do your best. :hug:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2012
  8. sadhart

sadhart Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone, I appreciate what you all have said. The first three days were okay. I have found myself in a position where customers will ask for help, and been able to do so for them which felt good. Five more days left and then after that, I'm not sure if I will be hired part time after the remodeling or not, but i am grateful for the job and experience.

9. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

Did they hire you part-time after the five days? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.