First legally genderless person.

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Mordeci, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

2. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

I wonder though, Norrie May-Welby probably cant reproduce or contribute to reproduction in anyway,(or does Norrie still produce sperm from being male originally?). Defiantly couldn't survive as a species, but for personal choice, wow. Kinda cool thinking to lose the stigma that comes with being a male or female, though I don't believe in that garbage. You are who you are, so I guess if this makes Norrie feel content, well..

I'm kinda having a problem coming up with any reason as to why I need an opinon of this. :unsure:

Thanks for the thread though, cool info.
  3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

He had his testicles removed to become a woman, that's for sure - therefore no sperm.

I guess he has no sex hormones being produced whatsoever... Can someone survive like that? Or is he getting them from an external source like typical transexuals? What doses of estrogen and testosterone would he be getting?

("He" for simplicity)
  4. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

You have the final sex chromosome you're born with (X or Y) no matter what, no matter how many "sex changes" you put yourself through. You can't get rid of it, basically. The person in the article is still male in scientific point of view, although he cannot produce sperm. The sex chromosome (among all the others) is found in every single cell of the body and it cannot be removed...

So if it should be legally possible to be genderless, then it's time to determine a new way to specify sex.
  5. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Little_me, there's already a problem with the chromosome method. What sex is XXY? 0.3% of "men" have it. It produces feminine characteristics in men, having a double X.

I think sex and gender are becoming outdated concepts (well, sex is still hanging in there for a good proportion of the population, for the most part, but it's no longer nearly as clear cut as it once was.)
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2010
  6. Little_me

I know, as raised by biologists, that in the case of intersexuality then it's called intersexuality, plain and simple (in some countries the person is designated both genders). But genderless? You can never be genderless for real, you can just have that feeling and consider yourself to be.

If you are born with a single X chromosome, then you are an undeveloped woman. If you are born with 2 X:s but are male, then you have the male segment of the Y chromosome attached to the second X and so on... Mutations exist but you either have one sex or both, you are never left genderless biologically.
    So what to do? I don't know... In the case of sex change you socially become male/female by adding and removing physical features, but if you want to be genderless legally, then the law must change in most countries so you are right about that this gender thing is getting outdated...
  7. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

Who let the lunatics out?
  8. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I'm all for whatever makes someone happy and doesnt harm anyone else..but I'm not sure genderless is a good thing...we all have an identity and so to have no identity is not accepting yourself...I think there are serious problems behind this...

but that is just my opinion...if it makes "it" happy, then who am I to stand in "it's" way....
  9. alison

alison Well-Known Member

I took a psych class in gender issues once, and my professor made a big deal of explaining the difference between 'sex' and 'gender.' It was awhile ago (and my memory sucks lol), but I believe that sex referred to the chromosomal sex, whereas gender was more which gender a person affiliated with emotionally. So from that standpoint, yes.. you can only be male, female, or intersex, (not sex-less..), but perhaps genderless is reasonable? I don't know, its all semantics though.. :/

Cool article though! I do agree that laws need to change to better suit a non-binary gender system.
  10. Little_me

I'm glad that I feel safe and happy with being a young woman, no need to face such things as gender issues...
  11. Testify

Testify Well-Known Member

He's a bloke. There's nothing more to say.
  12. johnnysays

johnnysays Well-Known Member

Good enough for me. I consider the issue settled. Those who say this person cannot have an identity because it's genderless, I disagree. Why? Because genderless is an identity. male <-> genderless <-> female. note: those are identities

Makes sense to me.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.