First time cutting

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Pingu, Sep 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pingu

Pingu Well-Known Member

I'm feeling shit, and i heard cutting makes the pain go away.. is this true?
    i really want to find somthing to make me feel better.. i dont care about scars, or loss of blood, im dead soon anyway..
  2. Melancholy

Melancholy Well-Known Member

Don't get into it, dude. Trust me. You'll find very few people who are glad they started cutting. In my experience, it makes me feel good for a short amount of time, and then I get a horrible come down from it, with massive feelings of guilt and self hatred and the rest. I end up feeling worse than I ever did before. I know how tempting it sounds, but please, don't start. I would give so much to change the fact that I ever started, but I know that now it is too late. Now I can't stop, no matter how hard I try.

Try other things: running until you are completely exhausted, writing/drawing how you're feeling, punching something soft. Take care, dude. :hug:
  3. unbearable

unbearable Well-Known Member

Please try other things, writing, drawing, playing an instrument, screaming into a pillow, holding ice cubes in your hand. I wish I resisted that first time 9 years ago, sure I had periods of not doing it for a couple of months but I always fall back into it now I truly dont believe I will ever be free of it, I should have looked at a better coping skill first but I didnt.
  4. purplefizz

purplefizz Senior Member

Hell no it doesn't make the pain go away!!!

Try to find a less destructive outlet for your pain - something that may actually help you. You like computers, so maybe you could do something with those. Or you could pick up a new hobby like writing or running. :hug:
  5. JustSam

JustSam Well-Known Member

you never ever ever want to get into something like cutting.
    as everyone else has said, it gives you a horrible come down. it makes you feel even worse daily.
    you can almost never get rid of the full effect it has on you, even if you've only done it once.
    please don't ever try it :(
  6. Jubbly

Jubbly Member

It's a temporary escape, and not much of one. It won't fill the emptiness and it won't make the pain go away, just distract you from it for a few minutes. It won't fix the problems at the heart of whatever makes you hurt so. Trust me.

Talk to people. Get that pain inside of you, out. People have already suggested certain expressive hobbies-- drawing, writing, running. That's why. To get it out of you so it doesn't engulf you completely.

Love you. Here to talk.
  7. Dubstepper

Dubstepper Staff Alumni

cutting in my experience is as much a pain-killer as a pencil will correct your acne. in other only distracts and gives you one more thing to hate about yourself
  8. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

no no no!! please, stop, I beg you. Stop it while you can. You don't want to get into the habit of it. Try some of the other suggestions that have been said already. It's a habit I wish I had never started, and I would not wish it upon anybody else.

9. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

It goes further than the scars and blood, give this a read:

I can't say anymore than what's been said already... just want to add on to the number of people who are saying it's best not to do it.
  10. unbearable

Wow, thats the first time ive seen that, brilliantly done and every single word is true, I wish that everybody thinking about starting could read that and see how much it will inevitably get worse and addictive.
  11. Dana..

Dana.. Well-Known Member

i wouldn't start cutting.
    It makes some people feel better, but it depends.
  12. Pingu

Pingu Well-Known Member

well i did try to cut yesterday, before i read your comments.. i think i cut a little too much because it was blood all over my arm, but i guess thats normal..
    anyway, thanks for your comments, i will consider trying that instead.
    But is it normal to be addicted to cutting the first time? because i already got an urge to cut myself again..
  13. unbearable

Try one of the other options, channel it into something creative before it takes hold of you.
  14. abyss

abyss Well-Known Member

yes, it can become a compulsive draw even after the first time. one cut was all it took for me. get off it now!! it only gets harder. each cut takes you deeper into a pit, eventually escape will be virtually impossible.
  15. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

when first started i was like 'who cares, if there are scars,blood or death' i'm still here and i always feel that i have to go back to, the urges are srtong
  16. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Please don't 'cut the cheese' kewlchese. Cutting will only leave you with awful scars and more pain than what you started with. :hug:
  17. unbearable

This is quite true, the scars may not bother you right now but they may do in the future, a permanent reminder of the suffering.
    I didnt care to begin with either (age 14), I would even go as far as leave my wounds exposed for all to see before they had healed in to scars, now 9 years later its a shameful secret for me, even areas that have fully healed for a long time im to ashamed to let others see, im very paranoid over it.
    I hope you can resist and take in others experiences.
  18. Epical Taylz

Epical Taylz Well-Known Member

starting to cut was a bad choice.
    i wish i was on the forum when i started
    please please try not doing it again
    you have to resist it
    there are so many other things that can be done
    to help let out the pain, dont make
    cutting your only option, please.

take up a hobbie, write, punch something
    just pleaseeeeee dont cut anymore.
    you will regret it the rest of your life..

i stopped for about two months,
    but the urges make you think again
    they get strong.'
    so strong you might physically hear
    them like how i did.
    your body will start to hurt you
    terribly and theres no way to make
    the pain go away but to cut where
    it hurts.

if you dont cut yourself when the
    urge comes and you fall asleep, you
    will most likely sleep cut. ive done
    it twice now when i was massivly
    upset, and i just started cutting in

please dont make this your only
    option. talk to us about when you
    urge. make a box of multiple things
    that you can do instead of cutting.
    i suggest you print out this thread
    and put it in there as well.

:hug:we all care about you.
    we all wish that we could take
    the urges of cutting away.
    please dont become addicted
    like us..:hug:
  19. abyss

abyss Well-Known Member

the scars can be a real drawback later. i used them in middle and high school to distance people from me. i would even carve words. now those are scars that i can't explain simply with an easy lie. i have to wear long sleeves to special events, job interviews (often everyday i work depending on the workplace). they can seriously hamper your ability to live a normal life if you ever get past the place you are in now.

something to consider
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.