first time talking to a friend. SI

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by lycoris, Aug 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lycoris

lycoris Well-Known Member

I spoke to my best friend from school about my SI for the first time a few weeks back.

I wish I hadn't to be honest. SHe said she noticed something wasn't right but she thought I was doing it for fashion/to be cool.

i don't understand the logic behind that. I really just don't. If I was doing it so people would see it and think "whoa how cool is she" why would I have covered it up? Why would I have stopped doing things so that nobody would see

I'd honestly have rathered she had never noticed anything was wrong. I really would.

its just got me stewing.
  2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I think being told something like that can be uncomfortable, and a person might not say the 'right' thing...hopefully, she tried her best to understand..J
  3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hope you know we understand in time your friend may as well hun she probably did not know how to respond so made light of it hugs
  4. lycoris

lycoris Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

This is some time after the fact, I was self harming regularly during my teens and at school. I am now 21 and decided to explain to her that I had finally gotten therapy. I thought she knew more than she did.

She was really nice and said "im glad you're getting therapy" etc but it was that one thing she said about me doing it for fashion (i used to dress in black and wear black make up which is all i can pin that thought on) And she meant it. As far as she knows I'm totally fine now so she was giving me her honest opinions and thoughts from back then.
  5. truthhurts

truthhurts Well-Known Member

i agree with ur point so much, i've also heard people say things like tht, tho not directed at me, because most people don't kno about my SI. most people who self-harm give so much effort into hiding their scars/behaviours, thus i think it'd be against all kind of common sense if they did it for attention.
    usually the ones commenting don't kno much about it, tht's why things they say might not be logical. sadly their ignorance doesnt stop them from talking and judging.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.