First Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by slider, Oct 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slider

slider Member

Tomorrow is my first session with a therapist. I am really nervous, almost to the point of cancelling my appointment. (At this point I am trying so very hard not to cancel.)

I HAVE to go, I HAVE to get better, I have to live, I am and will continue to fight. I have to, it is not my time to die, I know it is not.

Can you tell me what to expect? My son is going with me, imagine that my grown son is going to hold his mom's hand!!!

2. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

It's nice that you have your son going with you.

First sessions are pretty easy going. They'll just ask lots of questions to try start getting to know you. You don't have to do anything you don't want to and they won't force you, so just take things at your own pace.

3. may71

may71 Well-Known Member

Hooray for you and hooray for trying!!!!!!! I think this is a good inspiration!

This calls for a celebration!

:stars::stars::stars::stars:

I think it's just fine that your son is going with you. I think that reaching out for help is a sign of strength, not of weakness.

4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hey slider,

Don't cancel the appointment. You might find that therapy is actually joyful and that it helps,I know I did, I loved every second. I hope she's the right person for you, good luck! :)

5. BornAgain

BornAgain Well-Known Member

Slider, I am so happy that you are going to therapy, it will help you a lot.

I pass through that the same as you did, even though I am not going to try to kill myself ever again and even though I am not depressed I was very scared the first time at the hospital when they told me the psychiatrist was going to stop by, I was afraid of what I was going to say, afraid to take medication, afraid to get labeled with a mental disorder, well, once I met the doctor, he was the nicest person, didn't treat me like a crazy person or try to trick me into saying things, he was genuinely worried about me, he didn't even gave me any meds until two weeks later when I confessed I had being depressed for a year; Once out of the hospital, I was afraid, scared, almost to the point of wanting to cancel as well, the new doctor was a very nice person, no tricks, heard my story (I've been told most just give you meds without even talking to you), stopped my meds as I am doing so well with the promise that I would call him at anytime if I feel bad in any way even slightly and then I can get back on meds, he was very honest as telling me he can't make me a letter from here to December stating that I am safe for me and the children, but he can make one talking about my progress, so I can hopefully gain back some of the custody (I miss them so much), he told me it will be better for the court to show that I am being productive and stable, have a job, a place, volunteer, study, etc, he recommended me some depression groups to understand better what triggers that you feel bad or sad and prevent it, anyway, he was showing me that he was worried about me and wanted to help, but he was very clear that the way I tried to suicide was very violent and that they have to be careful that it's not going to happen again, specially if the children are with me, because most people that tried it statistics show that they try it again and again.

So, both times I was surprised by the psychiatrist, I guess by watching movies I thought they were going to be mean and deceitful, but they are really looking forward to protect you and if you get one label or 10 labels, who cares, they are for you to realize what is going on inside of your head and it will all make more sense.

Don't be afraid and enjoy your session, if you need to mention some things about your past or family, don't be afraid to ask your son to wait outside to not hurt his feelings or for you to feel embarased to say it in front of him and then omit some valuable information that may help the doctor figure out where your pain, sadness and suffering is coming from.

Wish you the best and God bless you!

6. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

:stars: well done slider...stay strong..don't cancel.....I like therapy..
    you are so lucky to have such a caring son to go with you...

7. Khloe

Khloe Well-Known Member

I'm probably the only one who actually liked therapy.

My therapist was lovely, they ask you alot of questions..
    and then some actually give you tasks to do at home during the week, like for example my therapist made me apply for college, do my washing, get up and about everyday, even if it was just to walk down the shop.

Its no where near as bad as you imagine, and it really does help.

8. Helba

Helba Member

I am and have found therapy quite helpful.
    My first comment to make is find a good therapist, there are many out there that simply won't work out for you. It takes time and it needs to be with the right person to actually make some notable progress. I am now with my 5th therapist, but I am actually making small progress, it took a lot of trying and bad ones to see they're good ones still out there.
    As for the first few sessions they seem to always be pretty tame, just getting to know one another, you can make them progress faster, but the therapist won't push until they know you a little better.

(This is all my own experiences it could be different for others)

9. MightyMatt

MightyMatt Well-Known Member

It's great that your goin' to therapy and that you have somebody for support... Certainly a step in the right direction. I've recently started therapy too. I'm 29 years old and a boxer and i was so nervous about it, just like you. My mum ended up coming with me and I'm supposed to be tough ha ha! It made it so much easier for me having somebody I trusted there. As for the Therapy... Well it's early days for me right now and I'm a little undecided about it but I'm gonna stick with for a bit and see where it takes me. Guess what I'm now going to my appointments myself so I'm must be feeling a bit more confident. To be honest it's just nice to get out for an hour or so and have a decent conversation with somebody. Try to relax and see where it takes you is my advice. Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.