First visit at the therapist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustLovely

Wants to become a cat
So I've finally gathered courage and made an appointment to a doctor tomorrow morning. But I have no idea what I should do or expect, and I want to go prepared. What would it look like? What should I do? I'm trying to gather what I should start with but I have so many stuff going on I really don't know what to say. Should I start with what's going on right now? Or what's the reason for it? Or what I think may be the reason for all this that happened a long time ago?

So I've finally gathered courage and made an appointment to a doctor tomorrow morning. But I have no idea what I should do or expect, and I want to go prepared. What would it look like? What should I do? I'm trying to gather what I should start with but I have so many stuff going on I really don't know what to say. Should I start with what's going on right now? Or what's the reason for it? Or what I think may be the reason for all this that happened a long time ago?
JustLovely, I'm glad you came to SF and asked these questions. If you've never been to a doctor for psych/emotional issues, it can seem pretty daunting. Are you seeing a psychiatrist or a counselor?

Rabbit

Okay! Thanks. That helps immensely. :)

First appointments are usually for information gathering. (And sometimes it will take more than one session.) Did you have any paperwork to fill out before your appointment?
Is there a specific issue you want to work on? There are questions YOU may want to ask therapist also. One of the best things I found is to keep a notebook handy today and write down all the questions etc. running through your head today. Sometimes you are so anxious and relieved to be seeing someone that you forget to ask questions.
At least for me, I need to get a feel for the therapist. That might mean checking out a few different ones.
I admire your courage and applaud your first steps into the healing process.

JustLovely

Wants to become a cat
Okay! Thanks. That helps immensely. :)

First appointments are usually for information gathering. (And sometimes it will take more than one session.) Did you have any paperwork to fill out before your appointment?
Is there a specific issue you want to work on? There are questions YOU may want to ask therapist also. One of the best things I found is to keep a notebook handy today and write down all the questions etc. running through your head today. Sometimes you are so anxious and relieved to be seeing someone that you forget to ask questions.
At least for me, I need to get a feel for the therapist. That might mean checking out a few different ones.
I admire your courage and applaud your first steps into the healing process.
Thank you. The notebook is a good idea ill make sure to take notes. I didn't do any paperwork, I just made an appointment online. There is a specific issue but it's more like a lot of issues connected together... That makes it very hard for me to figure out where to start and even what is the main issue... I don't really have questions I think, I just want to get to know how to deal with this issues. I wish I could get it cured but I'm not having high hopes for that... Honestly I'm so scared I'll have to live with that for the rest of my life

The best way to make sure you get a therapist who can help you is to go in with a plan. This is where the notebook can be a big help.
Write down: goals of therapy
expectations
issues that matter the most to you
how long you expect therapy to last

In the 1st session or two the therapist will generally ask a lot of general questions about your childhood, medical history too. Sometimes these are great ways to open up about certain issues. Just remember that you set the pace for yourself. The relationship between you and your therapist is a co - relationship, and a good one will not push you or react negatively to any of your stuff.

Rabbit

JustLovely

Wants to become a cat
Thank you for asking.
It turned out that one hour is a really really short time. When going back home after the session I realised there are so many basic but not important things I couldn't say or didn't come to my mind at that moment. The doctor is a very nice lady but I think one session is too short to say anything more, especially since it was mainly just me trying to talk. She said she thinks I should go to psychiatrist to get some meds prescribed, but I don't really want to rely on meds and I don't like taking meds so we'll see how it looks later. We made an appointment for next week and I got a homework to do one nice thing for myself every day.

Thank you for asking.
It turned out that one hour is a really really short time. When going back home after the session I realised there are so many basic but not important things I couldn't say or didn't come to my mind at that moment. The doctor is a very nice lady but I think one session is too short to say anything more, especially since it was mainly just me trying to talk. She said she thinks I should go to psychiatrist to get some meds prescribed, but I don't really want to rely on meds and I don't like taking meds so we'll see how it looks later. We made an appointment for next week and I got a homework to do one nice thing for myself every day.

I'm glad your 1st session was pretty positive. I would like to say that the therapist is probably right about meds. Keep in mind that you don't have to use them long term. Sometimes 6 months is all you need. But it can really help lift that fog and get you a little more clear headed to make the most out of your healing process.
Are you using the notebook? All the things that you "forgot" to say or were too scared to bring up can be written in there. :D
So glad you're being proactive in your mental health! ((hugs))

Rabbit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00