First visit to a psychiatrist, what to expect?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Ozzy Manson, Jun 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozzy Manson

Ozzy Manson Well-Known Member

So, tomorrow i will be going to a psychiatrist and was wonder what i should expect to happen? I don't know what usually happens with this type of doc, nor what will happen for my first appointment... any information or stories to share would be much appreciated! :):ambivalence:

2. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Well my first therapist was as much use as a cold turd and I ran rings round him.
    My second, was a whole new ball game.
    Scared the shit out of me! this man knew his profession and then some.
    Best thing I ever did, so stick with it.
    If your shrink is like my first one, try again, cos the right one is out there.

3. Ozzy Manson

Thanks, Terry! I am going to this one as recommended by my shrink to get a med eval. hoping they can help me! for christ sake, its summer, im a teenager, and all i do all day ( or rather all i feel i can do) is stay in bed and play computer games..

4. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

They'll probably just ask you questions... try and get a feeling for how you've been feeling. Get a little background info.

5. lachrymose27

lachrymose27 Well-Known Member

Dont expect much. The psych is just going to put you on meds and tell you to come back in two weeks then increasing your dosage. rinse and repeat. Goodluck!

6. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I do not agree that all interactions with pdocs are pro forma...I work with a wonderful man who is compassionate, supportive and insightful...it takes a while for any relationship to be productive...hope yours went well

7. Ozzy Manson

Thank you so much to all of you, I am leaving now. I will let you know how it goes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.