Fix for people using Chrome and get Plugin not supported with Chat

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Ladygrace, Apr 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ladygrace

Ladygrace Active Member

As of the latest update for chrome they have disabled some options, to fix the error of "plugin not Supported" follow these steps.

Type this into the Search Bar: chrome://flags/#enable-npapi

Then Click the blue text "Enable" below Enable NPAPI Mac, Windows

Once done restart chrome and it should work fine
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Thanks for posting this ladygrace as it has been problematic for many people,myself included, I am going to make it a sticky so it won't get forgotten.
  3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Bumping this thread up in case anyone is having issues using the chatroom :)
  4. Speke

Speke Member

This still gives me the plugin error on Chrome. On Safari it let me download and install the Java plugin, but it didn't change anything. This Mini Mac has been notoriously unreliable, though, so I don't know.
  5. Ladygrace

Ladygrace Active Member

After reading up Support for Chrome on mac has been removed form the 32-bit version. So only the 64-bit version of chrome will work on a mac.
  6. Speke

Speke Member

Well, there's that. Personally, I'm prone to using IRC for all chatting purposes, and would suggest that be set up, as well, but I suppose there's a matter of demand and ease of access.
  7. daisyhope

daisyhope Active Member

I tired this and it didnt work :/ really could use support/chat right now.
  8. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Need to tell us a little about what happens when you try to use chat - also what operating system (windows 7, 8, or Mac etc) and you were trying to use chrome as a browser? If you can give us some details then somebody can probably help tailor a fix for you.

Sorry for the inconvenience

- Ben
  9. Jae

Jae Well-Known Member

i did the instructions.. (but not so sure if i got it correctly) it looks like this..

Enable NPAPI Mac, Windows
    Enables the use of NPAPI plugins. #enable-npapi

Then i close then reopen..but still wont work..

says "This Plugin is not supported"

10. NYJmpMaster

On a Mac, most people seem to report Java Version 7 is more stable than the updated Version 8, try uninstalling 8 and install 7. Also apparently Macs need to run the 64 bit but version of Java , not 32. (this is all taken from other threads here Jae, I am sorry if they seem vague it is because i am just pulling the info from other threads as I do not have a Mac. Hopefully somebody with a Mac can clarify a little further.
  11. Zaheer

Zaheer Account Closed

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]"In September 2015 the override and NPAPI support will be permanently removed from Chrome. Installed extensions that require NPAPI plugins will no longer be able to load those plugins" - [/FONT]Chrome

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]The latest version of Java 8 Update 45 or 49 ( as far as I remember ) on mac fails to run java applet of SF chat (java plugin test is successful) .
    All Chrome, Firefox and Safari failed to run Sf's chat applet on Java 8 Update 45 or 49.

[/FONT]Oracle's Java version 7u25 and below have been disabled by Apple on OS X. Updating to the latest release will allow Java to be run on Mac OS X.
    And latest version would require : Intel-based computer running OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) or later.
    [FONT=arial, sans-serif]

12. upanddown

upanddown New Member

I just did that and had problems! A message said that security and stability is compromised and since I value them I did a system restore, but when I opened the browser it was still saying the same thing. Also Microsoft security essentials had been disabled.

Your instructions didn't mention that the plug in is no good for Chrome with a 32-bit system. And I can't seem to get the version of Java back that I had before! I don't know if my security is totally compromised now.
  13. upanddown

upanddown New Member

This isn't the message I came back to reply to. It was instructions on downloading Java for Chrome.
  14. NYJmpMaster

Your browser was saying that? Is there an error message number on it that can be looked up? That sounds like an Internet explorer message rather than a chrome message. So far as version of Java you can choose form several versions on the Java site. If you want to share what platform and browser you are trying to use somebody can help you but I am unsure what message you started with to try to correct and what was done at this point. Nothing in this thread does anything to your system, they are all patches for individual browsers to work with Java.
  15. Zaheer

Zaheer Account Closed

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    The reason for disabling NPAPI from chrome is “it has become a leading cause of hangs, crashes, security incidents, and code complexity” Chrome will completely stop using java from september in its current form.

Also Firefox might remove support for java in near future.

The only way I see chat service running is through mobile version of chat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.