Flashbacks - After Attempt anyone have these?

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by downunder, May 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

About six months ago I made an attempt. I notice now that I seem to really notice the smell of car fumes. I can be walking along the road, and sometimes when a car goes past I really notice the fumes. Not all cars. I live in outer surburbia. I never noticed this before and it is not every car. I mentioned it to my counsellor and she said it was due to the attempt and that I possibly smell them more when I am feeling down. I noticed that I did smell them less when I mentioned about it to her.

2. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

yep, i have similar flashbacks. i just stop and let the feelings wash over me, and then tell myself that i just need to focus on the right now, on this exact moment and not get pulled into the past. deep breathing, a little hug for myself, then i'm on my way.

3. diver200

diver200 Senior Member

Not really. What you may be having is PTSD. I get those for some of the things that happened to me.

4. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

I can't remember much after my attempt in december because I was too ill, but I often have flash backs of taking the pills and writing my note. It's horrible :sad:

5. Pensive

Pensive Well-Known Member

Can sometimes taste chalk in the back of my throat from my OD when I feel really low, so yeah it happens.

6. SolaceinPlace

SolaceinPlace New Member

I'm reminded everytime i step into my bathroom. If I close my eyes too long i just think of how i was gasping for air. it sucks.

7. nedflanders

nedflanders Well-Known Member

In your case, it's probably not just memories of a traumatic experience. Smells are processed by a rather primitive part of the brain, and can therefore trigger bigger reactions when they're attached to emotional memories. Kind of like Marcel Proust's "Remembrance of Things Past" being triggered by the smell of madeline cookies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.