flashbacks are really bad now

Discussion in 'Rape and Abuse' started by swimmergirl, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swimmergirl

swimmergirl Well-Known Member

Ever since this afternoon, I have been stuck in this horrible flashback. I keep hearing the noise, and feel his eyes on me, opening my door, staring at me. I am laying there trying not to move, to breathe to give him any indication that I am even alive. I feel him there. God, this is awful. Make it stop.
  2. the masked depressant

the masked depressant Well-Known Member

awww, sorry this is happening to you

wish i could make it stop and take it away..
  3. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i use some grounding tricks to help with flashbacks. i count down. 5 things i hear. 4 things i see. 3 things i can touch right now. etc. it helps bring me back into the present. try it.

sorry you are having such a rough day. hope it gets a little better. take care,

4. lostkatie1995

lostkatie1995 Member

Oh God I'm so sorry this is happening to you and I wish I could help you. The only advice I can give you is to try and distract yourself by maybe watching a movie or calling a friend and try to forget everything. I'm sorry I can't help you anymore. Maybe this dancing hamster will get a smile out of you: :hamster:
  5. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

hi Swimmergirl...so sorry you going thru this. like you and a lot here i have flashbacks...and am seeing psych to deal with it and having exposure therapy.
    this means that you face your fears daily and sooner or later your anxiety has to drop, so i am told...its very hard but my therapist tells me if i run at the height of my anxiety i am reinforcing it so as hard as it is, maybe you face your demons and then if you can switch off once they have dropped a little...and do it each day maybe you can face your demons enough to understand that you are not to blame. have you discussed with your doc or psych....flashbacks are evil and destructive, but try to remember they are not real and just memories that torture you if you let them. hang on in and remember you are not to blame :console:
  6. TBear

TBear Antiquities Friend

Such an awful place to be..... Something that helps me lately is to have a night light of some kind and reminders to ground me nearby - a stuffed animal or a picture that will bring me to the present.

It helps to try to figure out what is triggering me - am I overtired, maybe something someone said, or even the time of year...... if I can figure it out then the flashback is sometimes "defused"....

Please take care of yourself
  7. Julia-C

Julia-C Well-Known Member

I understand what it is like to live in fear, to wonder if your just one open door away from another violation. I understand what it's like to relive those moments of violation day after day, and how it claws at your heart until it feels like it's ripped to shreds.

I will pray for you with your permission.

You are always welcome to PM me if you need someone to talk to. :i'm sorry:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.