Floating

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by Antz, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Antz

Antz New Member

Hi, I'm new here and have stumbled upon this site looking for answers. I'm suffering from depression but have only been to see the doctor once about it. She offered meds but decided not to have them and try therapy. Therapist phoned, didn't like him end off that.

I feel my depression is more of a way of thinking than an illness. I have a wife who I've been with for over 9 years and a beautiful daughter of 18months. I realise I'm lucky to have these but it doesn't change the way I feel. I have plenty of people around me who I can call friends but feel alone. I go to work everyday with a fake smile on my face just to get a pay check at the end of the month as my family need the money.

I feel as if I'm floating through life and I'm just looking for someone who can relate to anything I'm feeling and thinking but everyone's story doesn't even feel close to mine.

I realise people here are going to tell me to get back to the doctors and seek help, medication but I don't understand how that is going to change my thought process.

2. Flaxney

Flaxney Well-Known Member

Hello, have you ever considered volunteer work? Perhaps being a part of something that is having a positive effect on society would help with your feelings of being disconnected. Or you could try constructing a planter of some sort and taking up urban farming, also a rewarding pursuit. I don't really know anything about relationships but perhaps focusing on that aspect of your life would improve things. Personally I feel that you have to pursue goals and improve aspects of yourself and knowledge if you want to counter feelings of stagnation and disassociation. So perhaps that would help you. I hope that you find the answers that you are looking for.

3. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Welcome to the forum and the SF family. We are here for YOU and please speak to others in the chat room. We support each other in our daily struggle.

4. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

I tend to agree with Flaxney. The medications can give you a boost and I would encourage you to try them. But at the same time it would be good to try activities to help get you out of your depression. It could help you change those thoughts patterns. So could a therapist, if you could find one you feel you can work with.

5. Antz

Antz New Member

Thank you everyone for your input. Happy to have found somewhere to share my thoughts and feelings

6. careyon

careyon New Member

Welcome to the forum! I hope you will find the support you need here. I'm so sorry to hear you're going through this state of depression. You don't say how long it's been going on. When I read it I had to wonder if it started after your 18 month was born. I know my husband shared with me how the birth of our little one made him feel insecure, lonely and neglected. Which may be some of what you're feeling. Do you feel comfortable talking to your spouse about your feelings? If not, I would strongly suggest your continue to pursue finding a counselor that youcan , talk to about the depression you're feeling. Maybe it will require meds, maybe not. I also must ask, how's your spiritual life? I would suggest you pray and ask for God's peace and the abundant life he desires for you. I will keep you in my prayers. Keep us posted on how you're doing.