Flu (UK only)

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by Puddytat, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Puddytat

Puddytat Well-Known Member

Help, ive been fighting flu on and off now for a while, sometimes it gets really bad. Let me just make one thing clear... I dont do doctors, well not the one im registered to anyway.
    my problem is that i dont know what to take, everything i have tried is useless, meds here dont work like they do back home, maybe they are not as potent. Lemsip is crap, does absolutely nothing for me. oh and when i ask the chemist what they suggest they say lemsip or i try whatever else they give me and it is just as crap. ive spent so much money and its all been a waste because i feel just as bad, not one moment to rest and recover coz im so sore and uncomfortable.
    Im so frustrated, i have trouble enough trying to sleep without feeling awful and not breathing on top of it. i need something that will make me drowsy and help me to sleep & recover because im struggling to do so.
    I can name a whole bunch of meds that work wonders back home, which dont exist here, very few of them u can buy online for 100 times the price.
    i need help, seriously, does anyone here know of any pills, syrups, sprays, hotdrinks, etc that are fairly effective in taking away any pains, clogginess, fuzziness, help to sleep.?
  2. Chickpea

Chickpea Well-Known Member

Hmm I'm not sure - I usually just take Beechams tablets for that kind of thing. What is your diet like? When I'm feeling a bit rough I eat a LOAD of vegetables. Lots of green ones, and carrots, yum. Homemade vegetable soup is a miracle cure :wink:

Have you tried that Vicks menthol smelly stuff to clear your head a bit?

If it has been going on for a long time then you might just have to got to a doctor eventually. :hug:

Get well soon xx
  3. Chickpea

Chickpea Well-Known Member

Oh I just thought - if you look up the things that used to work for you at home and see what the main ingredients are - then write them down. Take that to a chemist and ask what UK medicines have that in and they might be able to find something effective :smile:
  4. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Have a try with night nurse, that always knocks me right out and it has decongestions, paracetamol etc to ease the symptoms.

Meanwhile take vitamin C there are some large tablets you can buy that you drop into water and makes a nice fizzy drink thats good for you :smile:
    Also drink lemon barley water.

If it's flu even the doc can't do anything for you cos its a bloody virus, so you're stuck with it till it runs it's course; but a balanced diet, extra vit c and plenty of fluids should flush the bugger out.
  5. Puddytat

Puddytat Well-Known Member

thanks, i got some night nurse and some vicks sinex and some effervescents so ill see what happens. i tried asking the chemist if they have those specific ingredients but she was clueless completely so i gave up. almost everything says NON DROWSY on it so i got some herbal valerian & hops tabs as well.

after all that i got home to realise i forgot to ask about that lemon barley water *sigh*
  6. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

If all else fails Pud this was a trick my dad used to use on me when I was a kid (I hated it but it worked).
    Find every blanket, coat, duvet in the house and pile on the bed.
    Make a drink of hot milk (yuck) add whiskey and honey get under all the bedclothes, swallow drink and prepare to sweat like a pig.
    Basically your body temp goes sky high and burns the bloody virus out of your body.