1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fluoxetine

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by TSS, Jun 7, 2018.

1. TSS

TSS Well-Known Member

Does this have a side affect of making one fog brained? sorry i do not know the terminology. What ever the opposite of being clear thinking and having proper perception.

2. TSS

TSS Well-Known Member

Maybe i should have said frog brained? but that might fit.

MagickLynx likes this.
  3. TSS

TSS Well-Known Member

anyone?

4. MagickLynx

MagickLynx :p SF Supporter

I think that it does. I'm pretty sure it was on the list. It caused me to be suicidal when prior to taking it.. about 7 years ago.. I had been feeling ok. I had to stop taking it right away.

5. Maggoo

Maggoo Active Member

Fluoxetine is Prozac, the foggy headed tired feeling I think is a common side effect. It can go away after a while once your body gets used to the medication, but obviously if it is really bad I would discuss with your doctor and they might discuss an alternative. I take Duloxetine which is in the same family of drugs but not the same and it did at first make me a bit more strange than usual.

MagickLynx likes this.
  6. TSS

TSS Well-Known Member

thanks both

MagickLynx likes this.
  7. Walker

Walker Everything Zen Staff Member Safety & Support SF Social Media SF Supporter

I didn't get that from it. I thought the stuff was amazing actually, the only med that ever did a dang thing for me in decades.
    Everything is different for all of us. How long have you been taking it?

8. TSS

TSS Well-Known Member

this time about a week. it helped last time and i did not remember any side affects

9. TSS

TSS Well-Known Member

just do not know if it is the meds or the depression.

10. agwoodliffe

agwoodliffe Well-Known Member

Ask a doctor?

11. TSS

TSS Well-Known Member

Yes, I will. Have an appointment next week. Glad to hear the feed back here first. Oh I took it today and so far so good.

gypsylee likes this.
  12. Walker

Walker Everything Zen Staff Member Safety & Support SF Social Media SF Supporter

How's this workin out for ya these days? It's been a few more. You feeling ok?

13. TSS

TSS Well-Known Member

hard to say. better and worse at same time. looking more like your avatar every day.

14. gypsylee

gypsylee SF Supporter

Fluoxetine was the first anti-depressant that worked for me as well. Before that I tried a few of the older ones with no luck. It took about three weeks to kick in but when it did, it really did. How long has it been for you @TSS? Is this your first time on SSRI meds?

15. TSS

TSS Well-Known Member

I think its the third time. First time I am not sure if I noticed any help. The second time I would have been in my car crying instead of going to work, This time, maybe I would be worse if not for that? Oh I think its been a couple weeks.

16. Walker

Well *I* think that's great but *you* probably dont..
    Sounds like meds are starting to work ok. Keep in touch, I'm interested.

17. TSS

TSS Well-Known Member

omg my eye was even hurting yesterday

18. gypsylee

gypsylee SF Supporter

I’ve been on and off SSRIs for 20 years and I’ve found they take longer and longer to work, and at this stage I don’t feel like they’re doing much (I’m on 40mg fluoxetine.) I just stay on them because they are a nightmare to start taking and not much fun to stop. My problem now is definitely more anxiety than depression though. Anyway, I remember them taking something like 8 weeks to work (it’s always been quite noticeable when they do work.)

MagickLynx likes this.
  19. TSS

TSS Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing your experience. That is good to know. I think it might be kicking in for me because I was able to do a lot today. But my issue is this: My situation in life has not improved, if any thing its gotten worse. so I take the meds so I can tolerate a life that sucks?

MagickLynx and gypsylee like this.
  20. gypsylee

gypsylee SF Supporter

Basically, yeah o_O I think a lot of people’s lives suck at the moment because there’s a huge gap between our expectations and reality. There are too many lies, basically. My psychiatrist recommended a book called The Happiness Trap by Russ Harris, based on Acceptance and Commitment Therapy. The first few chapters alone are worth having a look at.

TSS likes this.