Food For Thought

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Aquarius123, Oct 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aquarius123

Aquarius123 Well-Known Member

A blind boy with a hat by his feet was sitting on the steps of a building. A sign by the side of the hat said: ‘I am blind, please help.’ A man who was walking by noticed that there were very few coins in the hat. He took some coins from his pocket and dropped them into the hat. He paused for a moment, then took the sign, turned it round and wrote something on it. Then he placed the sign so that all passers by could see what was written.

To the boy’s amazement, it didn’t take long until his hat began to fill up, because now lots more people were putting something into it. The same afternoon the man who had changed the words came to see how things were going. The boy recognised the man’s footsteps and asked: ‘Are you the one who changed my sign this morning?’ When the man said: ‘Yes,’ the boy asked: ‘What did you write?’

‘I wrote nothing but the truth,’ the man replied. ‘All I did was to say it in a different way from you. Your sign now reads: ‘Today is a beautiful day, but I cannot see it.’

Both signs told people that the boy was blind. Its first version simply said that the boy was blind, where as the second one reminded those walking past how lucky they were to have their eyesight. It’s hardly surprising that the second sign was more effective.

Let’s all be more thankful for what we have. It helps to be creative and innovative in our thinking and to perceive our world and everything in it in more positive ways than we did in the past. Even if life gives us a hundred reasons for crying, it’s worth our while to make an effort to remind ourselves and show to the world that at the same time we have a thousand reasons for giving thanks and smiling.

Let’s face the past without regrets and handle the present with confidence. Loving and trusting the great wisdom of life that sends us at all times exactly what we need – though not necessarily what we want – helps us to face the future without fear. When we thus live ever more in faith, all our fears gradually dissolve.

Created by Anon.
    Edited by Aquarius

From ‘Words & Prayers of Comfort & Healing’

With love and light,
  2. stig

stig Well-Known Member

lovely. that is fantastic. what beautifull words.
  3. Aquarius123

Glad you enjoyed my offering, dear Friend.

Thanks and God bless for letting me know.

With love - Aquarius​
  4. stig

stig Well-Known Member

it is comforting to think that there are people like that out in the world. It gives me hope.
  5. Aquarius123

I do not think for a moment that any one of us or our whole world is past redemption. Here is a bit more food for thought for you on this theme:

Never mind the sham, drudgery and broken dreams that to this day are an essential part of the lessons we and our world have to learn. Know that they too serve a wise and higher purpose and instead of falling into depression, remain as positive as you can by focussing on the beauties and wonders of our exquisitely beautiful world. Love and enjoy them and be content with your lot. Never lose your optimism about the good outcome of everything that will ever happen in our world. Know that we and it rest safely in God’s loving hands and everything will turn out well in the end.

From ‘Desiderata’

With love and light,
  6. Aquarius123

Life is a Mirror

There are loyal hearts, there are spirits brave,
    There are souls that are pure and true.
    Like them, give to the world the best you have,
    So only the best may return to you.

Give love and love through your life will flow,
    Giving you strength in your hour of need.
    Have faith, so the score of your heart does show
    That you have faith in word and deed.

Give truth and your gift will be paid in kind,
    And honour with honour will meet,
    And a smile that is sweet will surely find
    That the smile that returns is just as sweet.

Show compassion and love to those who mourn
    And help them to smell the flowers again.
    The scattered seeds of all loving thoughts are outborne,
    Though their sowing may often seem to be in vain.

Life itself acts like a mirror before King and slave
    That reveals to us what we are and do.
    And when you give to our world the best you have
    Only the best can return to you.

Madeline Bridges
    Edited by Aquarius

With love and light,
  7. Aquarius123

The carrot, the egg & the coffee bean

A young woman who had had enough of fighting and struggling with the difficulties of her life went to her mother to pour her heart out as follows: ‘Everything I touch seems extra hard and difficult, so much so that by now I am wondering whether there is any chance for me to eventually overcome my difficulties and make it. Or would it be better if I threw in the towel and simply gave up, because every time as soon as one of my problems has been solved, a new one rears its head?’

The mother thought about this for a moment. Then she took her daughter into the kitchen. Without saying a word, she filled three pots with water and placed them on a high flame, so that soon reached boiling point. In the first pot the mother placed some carrots, in the second one some eggs and in the last some ground coffee beans.

Allowing these things boil for about twenty minutes, she turned the burners off. First she fished the carrots out and placed them in a bowl. The eggs she placed into a bowl of their own and then she poured the coffee into a coffee pot. Turning to her daughter, she asked: ‘What do you see?’

Puzzled because she was as yet unable to see the point of the exercise, the daughter replied: ‘Carrots, eggs and coffee. So what?’ The mother asked her to step closer to the containers, to feel one of the carrots and tell her what it felt like. ‘It’s soft!’ ‘Now try one of the eggs and break it.’ ‘It’s black and blue and as hard as a brick!’ ‘And now take a sip of the coffee.’ Tasting its rich aroma, the daughter smiled, still failing to understand, she queried: ‘But what does all this mean? What are you trying to tell me?’

‘Well, can you see how the objects before you faced the same condition of boiling water and how each one reacted differently? The carrot went in strong, hard and unrelenting, but after having been subject to the boiling water, it softened and became weak and mushy. Being very fragile, the eggs’ only protection against the outside world was their thin outer shell. After having been exposed to the boiling water the fluid inside them turned became tough and hard. Ah, but the ground coffee beans reacted quite differently. Having been in the boiling water long enough they changed it into something fragrant, aromatic and enjoyable.

‘Now ask yourself: Which one of these are you? When adversity knocks on your door, how do you respond? Like a carrot, an egg or a coffee bean? After each one of them, ask yourself: ‘Am I like a carrot that seems strong, but with pain and adversity do I go soft and lose all my strength? Or am I like an egg that starts with a malleable heart but changes its texture in the heat of life? Is my spirit a fluid substance that after someone’s death, a breakup, a financial hardship or some other trial grows hard? Although your outer shell may still look the same, on the inside you have become bitter and tough and your heart has grown hard?

Or am I more like a coffee bean that has the power to change the hot water, the very circumstance that is the cause of my pain? Whenever the waters of my life get hot, can they release within me the fragrance and flavour of my true self, my spirit and soul? When things are at their worst, this quality enables us to look at all situations from a different perspective that helps us to recognise that each experience is but a lesson of some kind, which the Universe sends so that we may learn from it and grow ever more heaven-tall and nearer to our true nature of spirit and soul and to God.

This attitude can turn all seemingly negative experiences into positive ones. In our darkest hours and when our trials are at their greatest, it empowers us to open our spiritual wings to lift ourselves over the miseries of the earthly plane onto the highest levels of life and at one with God and the Angels.

So, ask yourself: ‘How shall I handle adversities in future? What would I rather be? A carrot, an egg or a coffee bean? The choice is yours.’

Created by Anon.
    Edited by Aquarius

8. johan

johan Active Member

It gives hope and strength for a while but does not sustain for long.
  9. Aquarius123

Pumpkins in God's Garden

Dear Johan - the idea is that we should persevere in our efforts and never give up. I have the following for you today:

Some believe that following any one of the religions of our world can be likened to being a pumpkin in God’s vegetable garden. They see it as simple as God picking us from our patch, bringing us in and washing off all the dirt we have accumulated in the course of many lifetimes. S/He then cuts off the top, scoops out all the messy bits and the seeds of doubt, hate, fear and greed, to finally carve us a new smiling face and placing His light inside us for all the world to see.

This, in my view, is a false belief. The way I understand our existence is that the only way this cleansing and lighting up can take place within us is through bringing forth – from within ourselves – the Divine qualities, which every human soul contains, at least in seed form. The more we do this the more we become at one with our Highest or God Self and our small earthly self becomes cleansed and purified through mingling with Its vibrations. This is a process everybody has to undergo by themselves. No-one can take it from us or do it for us, least of all God. Evolutionary progress can only be achieved when the soul is ready to work on itself. Yes, with the help and the will of God, but through everyone’s own efforts.

The wise one in you and me, the Christ Spirit,
    In whom we are all one, for a long time
    Spoke to our world and taught us
    Through the legend of the Master Jesus.
    S/He is now ready to communicate with each one of us direct.

This is how it came about that one fine day I was praying:
    ‘You, who are the wise Father/Mother of all,
    Can you relieve me of my bad habits?’
    To my astonishment the living God inside me,
    The small still voice of my conscience,
    The Christ Spirit replied: ‘My beloved child.
    It’s not for me to take them from you,
    You alone can work on changing your character traces,
    So that you may grow into someone you really would like to be.
    The same as I cannot change you,
    You cannot change others, only yourself.’

From ‘I asked the Universal Christ’

‘The Universal Christ Now Speaks To Us And Our World’

With love - Aquarius

10. Aquarius123

Wisdom from the porcupines

It was the coldest winter ever. It was so cold that many animals died because of the cold. The porcupines, realising the situation, decided to pool their resources and group together, to cover and protect each other. Alas, even though they were keeping each other warm, their quills wounded those next to them. It hurt so much that after a while they had to distance themselves one from the other again and as a result they began to freeze to death, each on its own. That’s when they had to make the choice of either accepting the quills of their companions or disappear from the Earth.

Fortunately, they were wise enough to decide moving closer together again. They learned to live with the little wounds that were caused by living in close relationship with their companions, because they realised that sharing the warmth of their companions was the most important part for their survival.

Human relationships are like that, too. The best ones are not those that bring us together with perfect people, but the ones in which we learn to live with the imperfections and inadequacies of others and even learn to admire their good qualities.

Created by Anon.
    Edited by Aquarius​
  11. Aquarius123

Going home

Going home, going home – we’re all going home.
    Quiet like, some still day – we’re all going home.

It’s not far, just close by, through an open door.
    Work all done, care laid by – fear and hurt no more.

Mother’s there, expecting us – Father’s waiting too.
    Angel folks are gathered with guides and friends we know –
    Guides and friends we know.

Morning Star lights the way – Earth-bound dreams all done.
    Shadows gone – break of day – real life’s just begun.
    There’s no break, there’s no end – just a moving on.
    Wide awake, with a smile – going on and on.

Going home, going home – we’re all going home.
    It’s not far, just close by – through an open door.
    Though I’m going before you,
    I shall not do so alone and neither will you,
    When your time for saying goodbye to Earth life has come.
    God and the Angels are forever with us,
    Keeping you and me safe.
    No matter where we may find ourselves,
    We shall always rest securely in God’s loving hands.

After: William Arms Fisher
    Edited by Aquarius
    Sung to the well known tune from
    Dvorak’s ‘New World Symphony’

From ‘Comfort for the Bereaved’
    With love and light,
    Aquarius ​
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.