Food phobias

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by MonikaM, Feb 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MonikaM

MonikaM Member

It has recently come to my attention that I have some kind of food phobia. How I never realised it was this is just amazing in my 30 years. Only a few weeks ago my boyfriend sat me down and said he thinks I have a problem with my eating because I am petrified of eating certain foods.

One he tricked me into eating a prawn and thought it was funny until I spent the next few hours trying to make myself vomit.

I cannot eat most meats, I can do chicken but I need to dissect it into tiny tiny pieces to check every morsel before it enters my mouth. My main issue is with anything meatish. I wish I could eat it. I'm not a vegetarian. My iron is often low and I am on a diet that requires eating protein but it is hard without having meat. A lot of the time I will be able to eat eggs, then something in my mind switches and the idea makes me want to vomit. I just shivered in disgust thinking about the fact I had eaten eggs. It feels like something bad will happen if I eat something like a vein or that little red thing in the egg sometimes ughhh.

It's always hard at someone elses place for dinner because I often without any rationale will jsut downright refuse to eat food that someone else prepared as I was not able to investigate all the ingredients for impurities. Watching me eat dinner is apparently very painful, I can't believe I never noticed I was dissecting my food and just behaving oddly about food.

Is this a food phobia? Mum said I was like this as a child, she used to make me eat in a dark room because I refused to eat anything I could see for years.

Anyone dealt with this sort of thing? It's ruining my life (even more than it already was).

I lie to my workmates and say I am vegetarian most of the time, it is hard for work functions etc.

2. nos nomed

nos nomed Well-Known Member

If you can eat it after dissecting it then it sounds more like paranoia than a full blown phobia. I smell milk like 50 times before I drink it afraid it will be bad and have to check every hardboiled egg I eat to make sure there are no shell pieces left clinging to the egg. If eating meat is that much of a problem you can substitute cheese, nuts, beans, and whole grains for your source of protein however each of these in it's own does not offer a complete protein and amino acids like meat does but with a mix you should be able to suffice.

Also with the high protein diet I'm assuming you are using this because you are on a resistance exercise program, remember that more than 2.2 grams of protein per pound of body weight will most likely just be converted into fat and to break down proteins you need calcium and if you aren't getting enough your body will take it from your bones making them weak and brittle leading to pain and possible breaking especially if you are doing heavy weightlifting.

If your diet is just to lose weight and you aren't working out with it I wouldn't suggest a high protein diet but instead a balanced diet using calorie counting. To figure out how many calories it would take to maintain your weight take
    Women:
    655 + (4.3 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age in years)

Men:
    66 + (6.3 x weight in pounds) + (12.9 x height in inches) - (6.8 x age in years)

Calculate Activity
    Step two: In order to incorporate activity into your daily caloric needs, do the following calculation:

* If you are sedentary : BMR x 20 percent

* If you are lightly active: BMR x 30 percent

* If you are moderately active (You exercise most days a week.): BMR x 40 percent

* If you are very active (You exercise intensely on a daily basis or for prolonged periods.): BMR x 50 percent

* If you are extra active (You do hard labor or are in athletic training.): BMR x 60 percent

to lose weight eat less than this number but at least 1100 calories per day or your body will start devouring muscle tissue.

3. MonikaM

MonikaM Member

My diet is devised by a qualified nutritionist. I don't do calorie counting, as I think it is ridiculous sorry. I'm not worried about that.

I am worried about the fact that I can't eat certain things due to anxiety about food. 98% of the time I will not eat it, 2% of the time I will try to eat it but take hours through dissection, this is like at people's houses for dinner and I feel rude. While I am doing so I am fighting back the urge to vomit and gagging.
    I just wondered if other people had experience in getting treatment for this. I know about substituting etc I just wish I could eat it. I'm not able to eat much dairy and allergic to most nuts...

4. denialmark

denialmark New Member

An irrational, persistent fear of certain situations, objects, activities, or persons. The main symptom of this disorder is the excessive, unreasonable desire to avoid the feared subject. When the fear is beyond one's control, or if the fear is interfering with daily life, then a diagnosis under one of the anxiety disorders can be made.

5. xXxRNBxXx

xXxRNBxXx Senior member

omg im exactly the same :eek: i have been like this ever since i can remember... there is food i have never even tried to this day because i dont like the look/smell of the food and it kocks me sick!!! I just thought it was me being a fussy eater or something...but its pretty embarrassing when going for meals and stuff :( but yeyah i swear everything you said then i can relate to xxx

6. marysue

marysue Member

I cannot eat things that are purple. I have the same reaction to purple foods as I do to needles; just looking at them sends me into a panic. I know it's probably not very serious, and it's not like there are many purple foods anyway, but I think I have a little bit of sympathy for you.

I went through a phase too, starting when I was about eight. For almost three years I could not-physically could not make myself- eat anything I could see any kind of holes in; even like, bread and muffins. I kept thinking I would see bugs crawling out of them and at the time I didn't know that was it's own disorder, I just couldn't bear the thought of putting it in my mouth because I knew it had bugs in it. Even if they were apparently invisible.

Food is one of those things I would never tease anyone about having fears or phobias of, because eating something is...well, for lack of a better way to put it; about as intimate a relationship as there is.

7. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

I have a strong dislike of eating eggs. I'm not sure if I'd classify it as a phobia... I am disgusted by them. As a child, I absolutely refused to eat them, or anything that I knew contained them. I'll always remember when my parents told me that you needed eggs for baking.

8. MonikaM

MonikaM Member

Do you eat eggs now? I can eat them sometimes but other times I am mortified by the sight of them.

9. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

I can stomach them, if the choice is to eat them or starve, but I am much more comfortable if they are not around me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.