Food Recipies

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenPsych

Ok,

I feel like a old married very domesticated woman now who should be reading something like House and Home but I find sometimes that cooking is somthing I enjoy - especially if it is different and I can impress other people.

So here is something I have made recently and came up with by trial and error and is very nice feel good food, healthy but stodgy comforting food at the same time -

So if others feel the same or have munchies please share your creative ideas.

Recipe -
1 Onion
5 Carrots
2 large Sweet potatos.
Teaspoon of hot chillie powder
small handfull of fenel seeds -

Cut onion up and fry with butter - but not so it burns. Peel carrots and potato and chop and throw in with fenel seeds. Just so it lightly coated.

Once everything is lightly coated move in to a big pan - add about 2 litres of water and add chillie powder.

Once carrots are soft liquidise all together and you have a very nice soup. Also if you like corriander you can add this.

It makes a very nice soup!

Esmeralda

That sounds like a yummy soup!

This is one of my little culinary inventions and you can make it ahead of time and freeze it.

Fajita Lasagna:

Brown 1 lb chicken or beef and cut into strips or chunks (if you are a vegetarian, you can substitute black beans)

Make a sauce with equal parts milk, sour cream (or fat-free sour cream) and mexican cheese blend...simmer on low and add a little salt and pepper

Take some tortillas and cover the bottom of a baking pan. Drizzle a layer of sauce over them and then arrange some of the chicken or beef pieces on top.

Take some Rotel tomatoes (it's a spicy chili and tomato mix) and layer over the chicken. You can also add jalepenos if you like it spicy. Then add a layer of mexican cheese blend.

Now repeat, layering the tortillas, sauce, chicken, tomatoes, jalepenos and cheese.

Continue until the pan is full and then layer tortillas on the top, adding the last layer of sauce and cheese.

Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.

Spikey

Okay, I hope you know that I am giving out my Extremely Secret Recepes here???

Honey and Mustard chicken with rice. Serves Four.

Ingredients:
2 medium skinless, boneless, chicken breast fillets (or vegetarian replacement)
Plain boiled rice
1 Red pepper
A few Mushrooms
1 jar of Knorr honey and mustard sauce

Take the chicken and chop it into pieces (sorry, I can't think of the technical term, I'm not Delia bloody Smith or whatever her name is)
Gently pan fry the chicken pieces until golden (I do this in a saucepan, with a tiny drop of olive oil, makes life easier)
Chop up the mushrooms, and peppers and add them to the pan with the chicken for one minute. Add the sauce. Leave to simmer for twenty to twenty five minutes.
Wait for a bit (pour yourself a drink)
Put the rice in boiling water (with a pinch of salt in it), and cook for the required time.
Drain rice, and serve on plates, then add the chicken :)

ummm... hungry now!

italian cheesy bread (great for a treat)
- 1 Chibatta (sp?)
- chedder cheese
- green pesto
- 2 tomatoes

Cut the chibatta bread into slices (a normal chibatta should make around 6)
pre-heat the grill to a middle temp.
Grill the chibatta bread until slightly toasted
Turn over the bread and on the uncooked side spread a generous amonunt of green pesto (or some olive oil if preferred)
cut the tomatos and add one or two slices to the bread
cut a slice of cheese and put on top of the tomatos.
grill until the cheese until melted.
Cool, then enjoy!

GoldenPsych

I do love Chicken Tonight - it used to be my fave meal and I have it with veg - add extra carrot and broc to sauce and cook it in sauce and also add roast potato.

However I had it so many times when I was living with my bf that have become bit bored of it.

Take a chicken breast and cover in sweet chillie sauce, let it marinade for aprox one hour - then get some garlic and mango and mush it over the top, leave this for about 30 mins. Cook in over for aprox 35mins. Serve with sweet potato that has been partly boiled then roasted for about 40 mins, brocolli, spinach and asparagus. If you don't like mando, take some chopped tomatos, garlic and italian herbs, mix together. Cover chicken in Parma ham and pour sauce over top. Cook in oven for 20mins - after 20 mins cover in mozerella and put back in oven for 15more mins. Yummu Yummy Yummy!

simple and cheap meal..

1 can chopped tomatoes
sprinkle of mixed herbs
1 onion
big squirt of tomato paste
tomato sauce
quorn chicken (or not veggie alternative)

- put the chopped tomatoes on a medium heat, mix in the tomato sauce and paste to the strength you like
- chop the onion and fry on a low heat (to make it healthier, i do this in just a bit of water) and add to the tomatoes
- add mixed herbs
- add the quorn chicken peices
- boil until the chicken is cooked.
- good with rice or noodles

yumtum

orrrrr...
super easy..

- 1 pot of salsa
- quorn chicken

- boil the salsa with a little water.
- add quorn until cooked.
ta-da!

F

FoundAndLost1

Homer has a FOODGASM!!!!!! :laugh:

Mine's kind of simple - and it has no name - iron and protein-rich comfort food...

When I make a pot of cream of wheat, I make it "savoury" (is that the right word??). In a small/medium pot, there's enough for 2-3 days

I cook it in chicken stock (the boullion kind), and garlic powder (and chives if I have any - which btw, freeze very well when you crop it up finely).

When it's just about done, I add in grated or small chunks of cheese (whatever kind), and when the cheese is stirred in/melted, I add butter/maragine/"I can't believe it's not butter". It's thick and very tasty - "sticks to your ribs" - I guess something like polenta preparations, but takes a fraction of the time, doesn't need to be "layered", and doesn't burn nearly as easily... :smile:

F

FoundAndLost1

Ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew! It sounds horrid!
No, NO, NO!! :biggrin:

(thanks for the wiki-link)

Ever had cornmeal? (also called polenta)

This is just made from wheat (also sometimes "wheat heartlets". It's also finer than cornmeal). It has a very, very fine texture - it's like smaller than grains of sand - and it gets all mushy, fluffy, and gooey-thick so that the texture disappears.

Most (boring) people :wink: eat it plain, or with cream, or brown sugar (or even jam) - but the way I make it, it tastes like an entirely different dish... And yeah - "plain", it tastes like rice pudding - without the rice (and I HATE rice pudding personally, so I would hardly recommend it if it was "gross")...

It ALSO makes spectacularly wonderful dumplings when mixed with an egg, and dropped in small spoonfuls into any boiling broth (they get like 4-5 times as big - and they're also very fluffy!) :smile:

(ach - fine - nevermind - be that way!)

GoldenPsych

Never had cornmeal - sounds weid...is it like porridge or Ready Breck?
Tonight I am cooking a chicken dinnner - well I am doing the veg as the chicken is pre seasoned from Tesco and has little chipilatos and stuffing. Gonna have it for lunch tomorrow as there i 2 chicken things, gonna have it with horseradish mash - yummy yum yum!!!!

F

FoundAndLost1

Had to WIKI porridge – apparently it can be made from ALL these things (oats – YUK! – seminola/cream of wheat – as well as cornmeal).

The chicken sounds great!

Also remembered my version of Humus after my friend gave me her recipe (which was as bland as chalkdust). Also way, way cheaper than buying it…

“Much Mo Betta Humus”

1 - can cooked chick peas (about 2 cups/500ml.)
4 - honkin’ cloves of garlic
3 tbsp. - lemon juice
4+ tbsp. - [any] oil
1½ tsp. - *Vegeta
1+tsp. - curry powder (more if you like – and/or whatever flavour you like)

*Vegeta is one of those powdered preparations with dehydrated vegetables and seasoning – you can buy it without MSG if you prefer – sure something like it is available most everywhere as mine comes from Eastern Europe – if not, salt will do I suppose...

Add all ingredients together and purée gradually till fairly smooth – hand blender or “cuisinart” are best.

Chill.

LOVE! :biggrin:

(keeps for several days as well – that is, if it lasts that long!) :wink:

GoldenPsych

tonight i had a chicken dinner - was so nice. I had to add to the gravy which meant i spilt it all over my clean kitchen so spent an hour cleaning as was so clean before just to get it clean again... i think i am becomming obsessive with the cleaning thing. Oh well, it keeps me occupied. Now I am not usually a fan of mash, however I brought some mustard and horseradish when i went shopping... it was so nice, horseradish in mash is lovely. I have it for my lunch 2morrow as i make too much so i can save money and have the same meal again! People at work think i am weird as i have these amazing lunches and they think i put loads of effort in to making a nice lunch but it is the dinner fromthe night befpre.Just wish I could take the wine to work with me 2, would certainly make work a hell of a lot more interesting, i may actually do quite well if i did. I think I may suggest a get fucked friday... do you think it will catch on???

xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00