Food Ruts

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by Godsdrummer, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

Do you ever find yourselves stuck in them?

I love to cook. When my wife and I were together I used to cook alot. And I think I am a pretty good cook. I used to make homemade hashbrowns. I make a really good Spaghetti and Meatballs. Or Ravs. I even have one of those Ronco (Set it and forget it) rotisseries, that we would do chickens on.

But lately since I have been on my own, I have found that cooking for myself, has lost it's luster.

So I have found myself stuck in a food rut. I have been eating things like Hungry Man dinners, or Tyson chicken patties covered with Chef Boyardee varieties. I try not to go out to eat, as I try to convince myself that it is healthier to eat at home, but the crap I am eating, prolly not. lol

So....have you ever been in a food rut? Are you in one now?
  2. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

I think you'll find most people who live alone have the same problem.
    I love cooking but I know if my son leaves I won't bother anymore.
    A big part of the pleasure of cooking is seeing others enjoy it, so apart from the cat, who would be there to share.
  3. DarnTired

DarnTired Antiquitie's Friend

Yes, I have those too.

In fact, I get lots of kinds of ruts. There's street ruts: when I'm sick and tired of walking the same streets to get home and think if I pass that bush one more time, I scream. And store rut: going to the same store to get the same food. And today I experienced hang-out rut: that's when I want to go somewhere and hang-out and I've got lots of choices, but I'm sick of all of them, so I stand on the sidewalk like an idiot, looking left and right, trying to figure out where to go.
  4. mdmefontaine

mdmefontaine Antiquities Friend

i love to cook

but it seems no one is ever home to eat at the same time.

i find that i cook, and no one shows. if i don't cook, i get family plus guests :rolleyes:

no matter what i prepare for the kids, i only eat my food-rut-of-choice, big spinach salad stuffed with all kinds of veggies. heaven in a bowl.
  5. BioHomocide

BioHomocide Well-Known Member

I hate cooking....... by myself.
    But if someone else is in the kitchen with me I always enjoy it.

When I'm alone I get too lazy and starve myself.
  6. plates

plates Well-Known Member

that's just like me. that's when i say I'M GONNA DETONATE. i love your post. :biggrin:

when i'm depressed as i am now, cooking anything more than just basic shit is impossible. i just live off sandwiches, salad, beans on toast, fruit, things like that. i don't care as i'm not really hungry.
  7. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Kind of but I don't really mind. All that really matters to me is that I enjoy my food. I don't care if it's fit for a king if I just want to satisfy my hunger.

But you should try to sometimes cook yourself a royal dinner. Who cares if you have nobody to share it with? Just enjoy the food. Enjoy the process of making it and thinking about how good it's going to be. The rotisserie chicken sounds great, BTW! You made me want to go buy one of those things.

My parents are both major germophobes and they won't eat anything I cook no matter how sterile the cooking procedure is or how much I beg. So I just enjoy my food. Oh well.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2009