Football Premier League 2020-2021 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Better believe it, there's not even any time to draw breath over the belated finsih of the previous one as the new season is once again upon us. All turbo charged and crammed with hardly anytime to blink. Once again those familiar questions will be asked :

Who will win
Who well get Champions league qualifications
Who'll get relegated
Who will get sacked
Will VAR still be shite
Who'll have the best kit
Who'll be the suprises packages
Who'll be the heroes
Who'll be the villains
Who's gonna get the beers and pies in?

Thing is though, who gives a flying f##k on whether these questions will answered or not*bleh

Whatever happens, for some it'll be hope and glory, for others it'll be shit or bust.

Just bring it on

@Auri @Aurelia @Sunspots @Baywasp @BritishBloke @Blue Star @Bloop

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
Better believe it, there's not even any time to draw breath over the belated finsih of the previous one as the new season is once again upon us. All turbo charged and crammed with hardly anytime to blink. Once again those familiar questions will be asked :

Who will win
Who well get Champions league qualifications
Who'll get relegated
Who will get sacked
Will VAR still be shite
Who'll have the best kit
Who'll be the suprises packages
Who'll be the heroes
Who'll be the villains
Who's gonna get the beers and pies in?

Thing is though, who gives a flying f##k on whether these questions will answered or not*bleh

Whatever happens, for some it'll be hope and glory, for others it'll be shit or bust.

Just bring it on

@Auri @Aurelia @Sunspots @Baywasp @BritishBloke @Blue Star @Bloop
I assume you tagged me simply for my glorious presence because I have no idea who is who or what's what when it comes to this stuff.

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
I assume you tagged me simply for my glorious presence because I have no idea who is who or what's what when it comes to this stuff.
No mate, I tagged you for two reasons ;

1. You might have a good voodoo presence on the success of my team.
2. Tapping up your Tarot reading abilities so as to predict the results. The bookmakers could be mullered by season's end.

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
No mate, I tagged you for two reasons ;

1. You might have a good voodoo presence on the success of my team.
2. Tapping up your Tarot reading abilities so as to predict the results. The bookmakers could be mullered by season's end.
Well that didn't work. @Aurelia as Liverpool just lost on penalties in the Community Shield. Fucking bollocks to that. Time to get wankered on Absolute...

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
I'm not much of a good luck charm, lol. Sorry. :P I'm more like the opposite.
Ok, stay away from this thread. This bad ju ju is either down to you or my brother *bleh

Don't worry though, I'll give you a tap should Liverpool win any honours this season :)

Baywasp

I know the world turns and it will turn on me
SF Supporter
Well, it won't be Sheffield United. Their new away kit is ermmmm... interesting *hysterical
Spurs’ home kit is odd but looks better being played in than right up close. I actually like Spurs’ away kit but green is a strange color for a Spurs away kit. The leaked 4th kit is horrendous though.

I’m excited for this season. Spurs are actually getting some business done early for once. I wonder if it is somehow related to Mourinho being there.

britishbloke

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Cheers for the tag @Ash600

I've been very indifferent to football recently, it doesn't feel the same since it's restarted, I watched a few games but... generally just didn't take much interest for me. Though it was nice for the season to be concluded. I hope the atmosphere is a lot more different this season!

I highly expect the premier league to be a two horse race, City vs Liverpool. I feel like as much as going forward, they're both amazing, City have not particularly been great since Kompany left and the only person in their defence I would trust is Laporte, Ake has been the stupidest transfer of the window, why are you paying millions for a player who is essentially the Dutch equivalent of John Stones? Equally for Liverpool, I don't trust any of those defenders aside from Virgil. Though, on a one on one game to decide the season. I've got to give it to Liverpool, Klopp definitely knows how to play against a Guardiola team.

britishbloke

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Surprise package would be Wolves. While they've been doing well since they've come back into the PL, I see them as the only team who could potentially push for top 4, outside of the usual lot.

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
This could be one hell of a strange season. From start to finish there's going to be midweek games. Matches are going to be crammed into such a tight timeframe, it's unreal and likely to lead to a massiv accumulation of stress/impact injuries. Considering there's Euro 2020 pencilled in for next summer followed by the World Cup next winter, players are going to be flogged to the bone.

Personally, I can see Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd providing more of a challenge than last season. I hear what you're saying regarding Laporte, he is the fulcrum of City's defence. Take him out of the equation and City have a glass jaw exposed ready and waiting for a good tonking. Ake? WTF and for that amount of cash as well. But then it's the premium one has to play if you're one of the elite clubs and it's widely known that they need defensive cover.

As for Liverpool and their defenders, apart from VVD, I have faith in Robertson from a defending point of view. Gomez, Matip - due damn injury prone. Preferably I'd like them to get another central defender with good organisational and leadership qualities who can stay fit for the majority of the season. Additonally, a bit of attacking cover to take the strain of the front three wouldn't go amiss. How I wish Liverpool would've shelved out for Haaland last season. Wish they would also stop fucking about and sign up Alacantra, he offers so much and brings another dimension to that midfield.

Regarding Everton, where do you start? Apart from Gomes and some of the players brought up from the youth ranks, some serious engineering needs to be carried out, especially as you still have that fuckwit Walcott in the ranks. If things remain quiet on the transfer front due to Moshiri being tight for a change, I can envisage Carlo walking away. May not exactly be a bad thing as it could bring big Duncan back into the hot seat.

What is going to be interesting, is Leeds or more specifically Bielsa. El loco is something else, and I was joking with my brother that he might use his connections to bring Messi to Elland Road.

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Surprise package would be Wolves. While they've been doing well since they've come back into the PL, I see them as the only team who could potentially push for top 4, outside of the usual lot.
Agreed, they are an amazingly fluent team. I remember when they were in The Championship and turned us over at Anfield in an FA Cup tie. Admittedly Klopp did play the stiffs plus the kids, but even so, you could tell they had a team there. It would be amazing for them to get top 4.

britishbloke

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
This could be one hell of a strange season. From start to finish there's going to be midweek games. Matches are going to be crammed into such a tight timeframe, it's unreal and likely to lead to a massiv accumulation of stress/impact injuries. Considering there's Euro 2020 pencilled in for next summer followed by the World Cup next winter, players are going to be flogged to the bone.

Personally, I can see Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd providing more of a challenge than last season. I hear what you're saying regarding Laporte, he is the fulcrum of City's defence. Take him out of the equation and City have a glass jaw exposed ready and waiting for a good tonking. Ake? WTF and for that amount of cash as well. But then it's the premium one has to play if you're one of the elite clubs and it's widely known that they need defensive cover.

As for Liverpool and their defenders, apart from VVD, I have faith in Robertson from a defending point of view. Gomez, Matip - due damn injury prone. Preferably I'd like them to get another central defender with good organisational and leadership qualities who can stay fit for the majority of the season. Additonally, a bit of attacking cover to take the strain of the front three wouldn't go amiss. How I wish Liverpool would've shelved out for Haaland last season. Wish they would also stop fucking about and sign up Alacantra, he offers so much and brings another dimension to that midfield.

Regarding Everton, where do you start? Apart from Gomes and some of the players brought up from the youth ranks, some serious engineering needs to be carried out, especially as you still have that fuckwit Walcott in the ranks. If things remain quiet on the transfer front due to Moshiri being tight for a change, I can envisage Carlo walking away. May not exactly be a bad thing as it could bring big Duncan back into the hot seat.

What is going to be interesting, is Leeds or more specifically Bielsa. El loco is something else, and I was joking with my brother that he might use his connections to bring Messi to Elland Road.
See, with the champions league because it was all so crammed into such a tight schedule, I didn't even realise it was going on until the final, which I watched. Mmmm.. Bayern deserved to win but, I wasn't too impressed really? From a neutral view, just didn't excite me much. So I hope the season ahead isn't too much of a headache, it seems like it may possibly be similar to a season in the championship, with all the extra midweek games, though if more episodes of match of the day are shown as a result, no complaints really. I try and keep up as much as possible.

Preferably I'd like them to get another central defender with good organisational and leadership qualities who can stay fit for the majority of the season.
See this is specifically what I meant when I was mentioning defence, I think I probably misspoke when I mentioned defence, I meant specifically, central defence. Liverpool in the full back positions, not a problem at all. I just feel like aside from Van Djik in that position, I wouldn't feel too secure, much how City wouldn't feel incredibly secure without Laporte (though I think Laporte, nowhere near the quality of Virgil). Haaland would've been a great signing though, I think Dortmund was probably the right choice for him, would you have seen him as displacing Firmino? I think from his perspective, it was more a transfer to a big club who would actually give him the playing time he needed. Rather than sporadic appearances.

Everton wise, oh man, where do I start......... :D Near enough every single position aside from Richarlison and Calvert-Lewin, need a first team signing, or at least the patience for a youth player/young singing to come in and develop over the course of a few seasons,, It's going to take at least, 2-3 seasons before I feel positive about our chances, by that time, Ancelotti, is essentially a year away from the end of his contract. This man should've been Everton boss when we had the money to spend, We're doing one of the successful coaches in Europe a disservice if we don't do exactly what he thinks needs to be done.

Leeds are going to surprise a few people I think, I didn't put them down as my surprise package as, I dunno, while the gulf in class of Championship to lower end premier league, doesn't seem to be as, daunting as it once was, I think BIesla could struggle? I look forward to seeing what happens with Leeds though.

britishbloke

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Agreed, they are an amazingly fluent team. I remember when they were in The Championship and turned us over at Anfield in an FA Cup tie. Admittedly Klopp did play the stiffs plus the kids, but even so, you could tell they had a team there. It would be amazing for them to get top 4.
I saw some interview in the paper about the structure of Wolves and even the reserve side plays the same style and formation as the first team. I think they're doing everything right as a club and probably will take over teams such as spurs and arsenal in the next few years.

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
That's so true, a suitable defensive partner for Virgil has been a burning issue for me for ages. Apart from Joe and Billy K from the youth team, there's not much else left. Matip is only good for a handful of matches before he ends up pulling something and I'm not talking about Mrs Matip. V really does need a regular defensive partner. Much like Tommo had Hansen, then later on Hansen had Lawrenson, Virgil needs a regular fixture besides him.

Haaland is doing the right thing I believe, taking a stepwise approach in his career development. That way he stands a better chance of becoming a renowned player as opposed to a forgotten prodigy. One only has to look at Robinho as a classic example.

Ancelloti, right guy at the wrong time, either he needs top quality players to work with or he needs funds to accrue quality players. He comes across as the type of manager who comes into his own when surrounded with players considered to be the finished article as opposed to a developmental manager. Bit of like Mourinho in that he's more tactics focused as opposed to technique. Carlo is more of a manager when you have a finishing school.

What Wolves are doing with their youth structure is exactly what Liverpool have been doing under Klopp. They play the same style and quiet often get the kids to train with the first team at Melwood. Pleasing thing is, is that the senior players take them unde their wings and freely offer them guidance.

britishbloke

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
That's so true, a suitable defensive partner for Virgil has been a burning issue for me for ages. Apart from Joe and Billy K from the youth team, there's not much else left. Matip is only good for a handful of matches before he ends up pulling something and I'm not talking about Mrs Matip. V really does need a regular defensive partner. Much like Tommo had Hansen, then later on Hansen had Lawrenson, Virgil needs a regular fixture besides him.

Haaland is doing the right thing I believe, taking a stepwise approach in his career development. That way he stands a better chance of becoming a renowned player as opposed to a forgotten prodigy. One only has to look at Robinho as a classic example.

Ancelloti, right guy at the wrong time, either he needs top quality players to work with or he needs funds to accrue quality players. He comes across as the type of manager who comes into his own when surrounded with players considered to be the finished article as opposed to a developmental manager. Bit of like Mourinho in that he's more tactics focused as opposed to technique. Carlo is more of a manager when you have a finishing school.

What Wolves are doing with their youth structure is exactly what Liverpool have been doing under Klopp. They play the same style and quiet often get the kids to train with the first team at Melwood. Pleasing thing is, is that the senior players take them unde their wings and freely offer them guidance.
See Gomez would probably be fine, all I think is that, possibly you need experienced centre back who can stay fit for longer than Matip, someone like Thiago Silva who's about to leave PSG, would have been a good acquisition. Just because you know a younger player (Gomez), is bound to make mistakes and it would help a younger player much more to have a leader next to them, say Virgil, is injured/rested/suspended, while Matip probably isn't as gash as the comparison of some of the defenders City have, I wouldn't like to rely too much on someone who struggles to play more than a handful of games. I agree completely though about needing a regular fixture next to Virgil, it's the only position I really feel like Liverpool need to address while Gomez develops with age.

Haaland is going to be a really great player by the time he leaves Dortmund, I saw a short doco on him once and his father is the lad Roy Keane went studs up on and pretty much ended his career, so I doubt he'll be telling him to join Man United ;)

I totally agree on Ancelloti though, I know he's been at some of the biggest teams you can think of and I think with his tactics, he's so used to having a certain calibre of player, that when an Everton player, plays to the level that we are at, he just feels as if someones cracked an egg on his face. I really hope that this season and next season, he can get the type of players, he needs in because if we don't back him, then what was the point of even bringing him in? You can't expect the man to turn Tom Davies into Pirlo :D

I think that should kind of be the approach most teams go for. It gives them an understanding of what's expected of them before they even make the step up to the first team and obviously they can see which young players are more likely to make the step up. I'm not sure how competitive these youth leagues are but it would incredibly confusing for any young player to be playing something like a 5-3-2 for the youth team, then come into the first squad where they play a 4-2-2, for example, you may as well get them ready, playing the way the first team do, for when they hopefully make the step up.

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
And....the season is off and running

Liverpool running out 4-3 winners against Leeds. Salah hatrick, disallowed goals and some crazy arsed shit defending. If this is how the season is gonna be, then I'll need a defribrillator, oxygen tank and plenty of booze on standby.

1599935506350.png

Baywasp

I know the world turns and it will turn on me
SF Supporter
This is Championship, not Premier League, but Spurs youngster Oliver Skipp won Man of the Match with Norwich City in his first game since he was loaned to them this summer. I'm so proud.
1599945334734.png
Don't worry; I'll certainly have something to say about Premier League tomorrow.

I did watch part of the Liverpool/Leeds match. I don't always bother to watch games if Tottenham aren't involved, but it sounded like it was going interestingly enough that I wanted to tune in to see if Leeds could pull off an upset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00