for anyone that gives a damn...

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by supermodel, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supermodel

supermodel Well-Known Member

I had my therapy appointment today for the first time. I wasn't really sure what to do. I thought if I told her my suicidal feelings that she would lock me up but then again, I wanted to be truthful so that I could get the help I needed.

Why were the first words out her mouth that "If you are suicidal, by law, I have to call 911"

I broke down in tears immediately because I felt like she couldn't help me and that no one could help me. I was late for my appointment and she told me to come back in an hour.

I'm glad I did. I got a lot of things off my chest and we talked "around" suicide. She's not stupid. She knows that I am suicidal but I kept reassuring her that I wasn't as I looked at the floor. She said I was acutely depressed and that she was going to assign me a psychiatrist for a medicine evaluation. I have another appointment on next Wednesday.

2. Summer.Rain

Summer.Rain Well-Known Member

Duh.. she is so stupid...
    My therapist heard for 1000 times that im suicdial, she called me every day
    checked on me and how im doing, every time i missed a meeting she called
    to check why, she always said how shes worryed about me
    and asked me to give her my word that i wount harm myself...

In any case.. just so that you know, 911 will do noting
    i think she said it to scare you...

3. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

It sounds like you already know you need a therapist to help you battle this. You need to be honest with them. If you lie then you won't get the help you need. They are professionals and they know better than you what you need. If they want you to go in the hospital don't be afraid you will only be there for a couple of weeks so they can find the right med combination that works for you.
    And I give a damn. I don't wish mental health problems on anyone. Hope you feel better soon!!

4. supermodel

I have a daughter...I hate to say this but I cant take the time off from work and still expect to have a job. Im a single mom with a single income. There is noooo way. I';m on my last leg at my job. So at least when I do get better, I'll have a job and an apartment and a nice car to come back to! LOL I know that sounds bad but I don't have any options on that part. I've got to stay out the hospital

5. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Hun if you dont want to spend time in hospital, then you have to be honest, open and ready to work hard with your therapist and any other professional that is involved with your care. Another avenue to try is a support group. They are usually evenings so they are easily attended by working people. You will find a group of people similar to here that know exasctly where you are and what you are dealing with. It's nice to talk to just ordinary people about your problems because they understand because of their experiences. If you can fit it into your schedule, please give it a try. You may be lucky enough to find another member that you can contact when you are in trouble instead of limiting yourself to a crisis line or 911. Good luck and hope you get the support and help you need to move on and get those things you want in the future.

6. Insignificant

Insignificant Account Closed

just so you know you cannot lose your job if you need to go into the hospital. i know that challenge as i am a single mother of two teenagers myself. i just got out of a six week stay in the hospital. all my creditors were very understanding and workable with me. just thought i would let you know. :please: take care and stay safe.

7. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I am glad you decided to seek help in dealing with your issues. You have taken a big step in the right direction. Now you need to give things time to work. Progress does not happen overnight and if you are not honest with those trying to help, they can't move through it like they should be able to. I wish you the best. Take care. :hug:

8. supermodel

It's almost a year later and I'm doing so much better. I am of the belief that suicidal thoughts will continue to haunt me for the rest of my life.

Just coming back to this board in almost a year brings back some painful memories. I was able to overcome my initial feelings with some counseling and avoided medication.

I'm not saying the thought hasn't crossed my mind in the year since I've been gone from the board. It remained a constant thought in my mind over the last year. I wondered how everyone was doing.

I'm still fighting the good fight. The thing is that I'm on "this" side fighting it. Don't give up my pets!

9. reefer madness

reefer madness Account Closed

Welcome back. Glad to hear you're doing better.

10. supermodel

Thanks!!!!!:biggrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.