for attention?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by fading_dreams, Oct 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fading_dreams

fading_dreams Well-Known Member

one of my friends told me the other day that she thinks the reason that i cut and stuff is because i want to get attention... and i don't think that's true. i mean, i didn't tell anyone about it until someone found out. and.... i didn't want to tell my parents or anything. i don't know why she thinks that. but it's not true! i don't cut to get attention.
    but how am i supposed to convince her of that. she doesn't know anything about my cutting or the reason that i do it or how often or my suicide attempt or anything like that. she thinks that i only cut a couple times and then stopped, which probably explains the reason she thinks i'm doing it for attention... but what do i say to her to convince her that i'm not just doing it for attention. she thinks i'm a selfish little pig.... but i don't think i am. and i know that sounds self-centered, but.... well, i honestly don't think that my cutting has anything to do with getting attention. because no one does pay attention because i dont' want them to pay attention to the cuts and scars and stuff. so i hide them. and i don't tell people. so.... how is that attention seeking? i'm really confused.

2. consciousinsane

consciousinsane Well-Known Member

3. fading_dreams

thank you, i think that this website will help her to understand. i appreciate it.

fading_dreams

4. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

Many people who havn't been thru self harming themselvs seem to have this concept of it being for attention, or that people do it for 'fun', when this is certainly not the case, self harming is a coping method, it a way to deal with the emotional pain in a physical way.

Depression leaves us with the feeling that we're on our own, if we can't take it out on anyone else the only person left is ourselvs, this is why self harming happens in many cases of depression. It takes time for a person whodoesn't self harm to gether the concept of why we would put ourself thru that physical pain.

take care

vikki x

5. fading_dreams

yeah, they dont understand.... but you know what else bothers me? when people just burn themselves once or something and then say 'i just wanted to see how it felt'. i mean... i don't know, it just ticks me off... and i guess i shouldn't be mad at that because it might be goot because it will let them kind of understand. but that i think is for attention. and i know that th friend who says i'm doing this for attention has done that. she has 'tried it out'... and that was just for attention. so how dare she tell me that when i cut that i am just doing it for attention?

fading_dreams

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.